PDA

View Full Version : Can you go sumpless?

goatman
03/05/2005, 02:40 PM
Starting a 29 gallon SW tank. I have a CPR Bak-Pak 2, a Current-USA Orbit PC, and a Marineland Emperor 280.

First Question, with a fish only tank, do I need a sump?. I plan to eventually add LR, but I first want to get my routine down with maintenace etc.

Second Question, when I add LR do I need a sump or can I go sumpless and still be successful?

phil519
03/05/2005, 02:58 PM
you can still be successful. That being said you forgo the following benefits that typically come with a sump:

The benefits include:
· increasing total water volume,
· providing a place for equipment and filtration,
· keeping the surface of the water free of contaminates,
· aerating the water,
· simplifying water changes, and
· keeping the water level stable in the display tank.

You can get the above via other methods - but imo a sump really helps.

The full article that mentions the above benefits can be found here:
reefkeeping: sumps (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/)

p.s. nothing is ever "needed" (other than water and tank lol) - but sump, protein skimmer all are helpful. Is it absolutely needed? no. Not even when you get lr.

Stevan
03/05/2005, 03:04 PM
Phils correct. I hate not being able to have one. However you can set one up easily enough if you have a drilled tank. If your tank isnt drilled and not yet set up. Get it drilled now even though you don't need it yet It's still smarter to do now rather waiting.

Setting one up later can be a PITA.

goatman
03/05/2005, 03:23 PM
I have a glass tank. An overflow is what I would use right? Are there any companies that make arylic sumps with all neccessary equipment right out of the box?

The Punisher
03/05/2005, 03:30 PM
I would get the tank drilled instead of the overflow box, drilled tanks are more reliable. There are many companies that make sumps but they are quite expensive and, imo, not worth the money since you can easily make your own.

goatman
03/05/2005, 03:44 PM
Some people around here seem to make everything out of acrylic themselves. Is that difficult? What does a 4x8 piece 1/2" thick go for roughly. Anyone try to build there own custom tank with overflows? It almost seems easier to biuld my own tank. Is that just crazy?

Gawain1974
03/05/2005, 03:54 PM
You can build a sump/overflow, etc, with acrylic...but you can also use a cheap aquarium for your sump with a few modifications (i.e. baffles, etc.). Check out the do-it-yourself forum for ideas.

Acrylic can be pretty expensive, so I think it's cheaper in the long-run to use a pre-made aquarium. Also, you don't even need to use an aquarium as a sump...you can use a rubbermaid container, etc. It doesn't have to be "pretty."

goatman
03/05/2005, 04:13 PM
It seems like it would be fun/challenging and a whole lot more rewarding to do it yourself.

bkbkid
03/05/2005, 04:17 PM
You could always try and setup a tank without a sump, as long as you have around 1.5-2lbs of live rock you should be fine, since it's a living filter. If I were you I would have do a CBR hang-on back refugium, they work great and you don't have to work about an overflow box.

DJK
03/05/2005, 04:47 PM
can you use plexiglass to make a sump out of or does it have to be gall or Acrylic?

The Punisher
03/05/2005, 05:42 PM
Plexiglass is a brand of acrylic, so yes, you can use it.

Gawain1974
03/05/2005, 05:43 PM
Oh, I forgot to add that Phil519 is right-on...you don't neccessarily need a sump for a 29, they just have many benefits that outweigh the challenges of a quiet installation.
I ran my 55 for 3+ years sumpless, but I'm in the process of adding a sump and a second refugium (already up and running), and I'm looking forward to the benefit of a larger water volume.

Stevan
03/05/2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by goatman
Some people around here seem to make everything out of acrylic themselves. Is that difficult? What does a 4x8 piece 1/2" thick go for roughly. Anyone try to build there own custom tank with overflows? It almost seems easier to biuld my own tank. Is that just crazy?

A 4x8x1/2 is EXPENSIVE. Likely you only need 1/4 inch for a smaller sump... or just buy a 20 gal tank...Thats CHEAP. Cutom tanks and even off the floor tanks come everyway you can imagine and some you can't yet imagine.

Ben CC
03/05/2005, 08:28 PM
A 29 gal. tank will be fine without a sump. Remember- there are disadvantage to a sump, especially if you use an overflow (noisy) and/or a small sump (flood potential).

bertoni
03/05/2005, 08:32 PM
I agree. I run a 29g tank with soft corals, and it's fine without a sump.

ihavtats29
03/05/2005, 08:37 PM
55 gal reef no sump all external hang on back filters and a berlin air lift skimmer tank up and running for 1 year and 1 month so far no problems