PDA

View Full Version : New Kole Tang . . . should I be worried?

leirej
03/05/2005, 05:09 AM
I purchased a Kole Tang and a Purple Firefish from fishsupply.com and received them both a couple of days ago. I acclimated them both for about an hour and a half using the drip method. Everything seemed fine, no white spots or sign of any disease. Netting the firefish out of the bucket was easy but the Tang was a little tricky to get in to my tank.

Here's my question. I'm now starting to see white blotches on the Tang's skin. Doesn't look like ICH. It seems more like scratches. It does like to try and put it self between rock spaces that are too small. Is it possible that these blotches could just be injuries from bumping into rocks? It's finally swimming around now instead of hiding and has been picking on rocks and substrate.

leirej
03/05/2005, 04:38 PM
I've been trying to get a picture of him but he's still too shy. He darts into the rocks everytime I walk by the tank.

MarksReef
03/05/2005, 04:47 PM
Probably from darting into the rock. It won't take it to long to get used to you once it realizes where the food comes from.

leirej
03/05/2005, 04:55 PM
Thank you. I pretty much figured that. I just needed to be reassured.

Gawain1974
03/05/2005, 05:38 PM
I'd keep a close eye on him and make sure your water quality is good. Even if it's just scratches/tears, poor water quality can lead to secondary infections.
Do you have a cleaner shrimp in the tank? They are great for cleaning wounds, removing parasites, and removing dead skin.
Good luck.
A pic would be helpful. Sitting in front of the tank for 30 minutes or so usually gives a shy fish enough time to get acclimiated to your presence. Have your camera at the ready.

leirej
03/08/2005, 07:20 PM
Here's the best picture that I could take of the Tang . . . it's so hyper. If you look closely you can sort of see the white blotches/scrapes between his eyes. He seems to be acting normal, grazing on hair algae all day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/jerielaine27/Kole.jpg