PDA

View Full Version : please help me give advice for brother in law

tvrsir
03/04/2005, 11:50 PM
hi i have been keeping saltwater for a while. so far i only have fowlr.

my brother in law is in the process of settng up a 75 gallon.
he wants to keep sps,lps, and clams, and a few reef safe fish.
he is asking me for advice but im not very confident in giving him advice.
please answer a few question for me thanks.

he wants a skimmer what kind should be buy he wants a sin sump skimmer.I suggested euroreef orr asm but open for advice.

he's looking for a hob overflow. where and what brand is reliable but not way expensive.?

he went ahead a bought a coralife 48 inch dual mh and dual pc actinic strips.

he has access to roo water as he works for culligan water. what other equipment does he need?

please if you can give me the sites to where you woould buy these items thanks

AJP
03/05/2005, 12:11 AM
Well it looks like you are well on your way to a good tank. The lights could have been had for cheaper if he had just bought a 2x250w metal halide set-up but that is over and done with. The ASM and Euro's are good. I have also heard that the Aqua C are good.

If the tank is not already set-up I would avoid the HOB overflow if it were me. If the tank isnt reef-ready just drill it yourself with a dremel (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=444094)

Don't forget you will also need some kind of substrate and good live rock. Both of these are very open subjects and you can find about 10,000 opinions of why each kind is good or bad, so do your research and pick what you like.

Also if you want to keep several clams and such you will need a calcium reactor. I have very little knowledge of these so can not help.

Hope this helps.

shwa_69
03/05/2005, 01:45 AM
I have an ASM g3 skimmer and I love it. just thought I would add my 2 cents

tampa-reefer
03/05/2005, 02:53 AM
Euroreef.....or asm
And I like "reef ready tanks" drilled w/corner overflow.
Check our sponsors out...there are some great companys to deal with on there.

Avi
03/05/2005, 07:30 AM
I use two Amiracle hang-on overflows and I'd say that they are good quality and he'd need a good quiet water pump to drive it. I've used Mags and Quiet One's and they both are silent, in my experience. Make sure there's a strong flow all over the tank. I can tell you that Sieo water pumps (strictly for flow in the tank, and not to dtive any equipment) have done a good job for me.