PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater aquariums

multi
03/04/2005, 11:20 PM
Hello, I have had a fresh water aquarium for about a year now. And i am over it lol. I have decided to go with a marine aquarium. I know very little about them and have been researching them for about 2 weeks.

I was just wondering if some poeple could give me some ideas on what i need to start of with my marine tank.

I have all fresh water equipment and a tank that measures 24 inches long 12 wide and 16 tall. its 75 lites.

CPT. MURPHY
03/04/2005, 11:26 PM
[welcome]

Hoggn
03/04/2005, 11:43 PM
You need to decide what type of tank you want then work backwards from there. Fish only or reef.

You will need to read and read some more and ask a lot of questions... Research before you buy anything is key and don't always trust your Local Fish Store, they are trying to make money we here at RC are not...

You will need:
Tank
RO/DI System
Test Kit (Salifert)
Refractometer
Substrate (sand or Crushed coral)
Power heads
Over flow or Reef Ready tank.
Sump
Heater
Return pump....
Proper Lighting and So on........

Research here and ask questions!

alljap
03/05/2005, 12:10 AM
All I can say is invest into a good skimmer and light system.
Welcome to RC.

JR719
03/05/2005, 12:20 AM
Welcome to RC! You'll love having a reef tank if you take care with your inhabitants and monitor the paramiters. You will need a good skimmer and good lights. If you want stony coral you will need MH lights (or clams). Fish only is fine for a little while but you will soon want corals and all sorts of inverts, you will need the lights to start. A good skimmer, and alot of test kits. Be ready to use alot of RO/DI water, I finally bought a setup (buying by the jug is no fun). You have to pay more attention to marine than freshwater. The sacrifice is very well worth the trouble with the beauty and unbelievable eco system, all in your glass box. Just keep your params in check and enjoy the view.

multi
03/05/2005, 12:40 AM
I would really like a tank with some corals/ anemonys and like 3 fish and a couple of invertabrae.