PDA

View Full Version : Something is eating my Zoas!! help...

thalasinos
03/04/2005, 10:41 PM
OK I need some help, I have seen about 5 or 6 of these little snail looking creatures crawling all over my zoas, it seems as if they are eating them. They look like little snails. There back side is a fuzzy purple with spots of yellow. Does anyone know what this is?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Thalasinos/creature4.jpg

shilo_1
03/04/2005, 10:43 PM
The pic is nearly impossible to see, but it could very well be zoo eating nudis. Remove the zoos and do a FW dip (fresh water that is the same temp as the tank) and see what drops off.

thalasinos
03/04/2005, 10:45 PM
Sorry about the pic That is the best I can get. Is there a name I could do a search for online? or do I just doa search for zoo eating nudis?

thalasinos
03/04/2005, 10:46 PM
Ohh Sorry, How long do I dip it for??

shilo_1
03/04/2005, 10:48 PM
I'd swish them around in the FW for about 3 minutes. If you go to the zoo forum you can do a search on nudis and find a bunch of info

shilo_1
03/04/2005, 10:48 PM
[welcome] BTW ! :)

thalasinos
03/04/2005, 10:49 PM
how do I do that?? Sorry I dont know how to do a search Just in one forum..

shilo_1
03/04/2005, 10:56 PM
Heres a link to a search on zoo eating nudis:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=4614996&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

To search, at the top of the page, it has a button that says search. Each individual forum has a search button at the bottom of the page that will search the archives of that forum only.

thalasinos
03/04/2005, 11:38 PM
UPDATE: I gave the Rock a fresh water bath for about 3 minutes and about 15!! Fell off!! I then placed the rock back in the tank thinking they where all gone. About 2 minutes later 3 more started walking around on the rock! I took the rock out again placed it in my sump and with pliers started puling them off manually. I got about 20!!! MORE!! I’m leaving the rock in my sump over night just to see if anymore come out to play...

shilo_1
03/04/2005, 11:53 PM
That sucks ! Are they nudis ?

There is a guy on RC - MUCHO REEF - that has found a wrass (a sea grass wrass) that pretty much will get them all out of your tank. Read some of his articles in the zoo forum for a better understanding. If it is nudis, they eat only zoos, so if you can remove all your zoos and do the same FW dip for a few weeks (daily dipping) you should be able to rid your zoos of the pests. GOOD LUCK !

Avi
03/05/2005, 12:06 AM
I couldn't remove the zo's from the tank becauese they were epoxied down so I had to suck the nudibranchs off them with a turkey baster and discard them....It was tedious but I did it every day and it took about 4 weeks to get them all. It's been months since I saw any and the zo's in the tank are all opening nicely again.

shilo_1
03/05/2005, 12:12 AM
thalasinos,

Just something to remember - do not squash these nudis - they are known to be toxic - use a tweezer (watch your eyes too !) to take them off.

thalasinos
03/05/2005, 01:47 AM
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!! WOW I didn't know that, Likely I used pliers..:eek1:

shilo_1: I am pretty sure I still have some in my tank, are you sure they only eat zoa's? They will not touch my SPS corals and some polips that I have right?

bergzy
03/05/2005, 02:13 AM
if you do a search for zoo eating nudi's, you will find a method for doing the fw dip...

it is great for getting rid of the nudi's but takes multiple dips over a period of time.

good luck, it can be some work...

ps...i had 35 zoo rocks in my zoo tank. ;)