PDA

View Full Version : Having Second Thoughts on PH Purchase

john fidler
03/04/2005, 08:46 PM
Hi,

I have on order two Rio SEIO 820 PHs for the tank l have listed (FOWLR). I currently have about 600 gph through my tank distributed through spray bars from a return Mag12. My tank is about 4 months old and I have a moderate cyano outbreak (seems to grow on the ssb, not on the rocks). Read a lot of threads on the subject and among things listed to help in reducing cyano (among water changes, etc. to reduce phosphate) was increased flow in the tank.

Does this really help or did I just buy equipment I don't need? Will the cyano pass on its own? The reason I ask is that I used the spray bars with the hope of avoiding equipment in the display tank, particularly PHs.

(FWIW, Phosphate currently reads about 0.5ppm. I have a small fuge with Chaeto and run an ERCS6-1 skimmer. All other parameters read fine.)

Any responses welcome, even though thay say I just blew my money!!

foob
03/04/2005, 09:10 PM
I've tried high flow before, that didn't help. Mexican turbo snails did the job for me.

You could physically remove as much as you can, and gradually your chaeto will reduce the nitrates/phosphates until they won't spread anymore.