PDA

View Full Version : Launching the 54 Gal. Corner Tank

FLpatty
03/04/2005, 06:18 PM
I am about to switch from an old, leaky, 55 gallon tank (the narrow kind) (see my pics) to a brand-spankin' new AllGlass 54 gallon predrilled corner tank.

WHAT, pray tell, is the easiest way to transfer everything? If anyone has gone through the steps of switching one tank to another, I would be grateful for any help.

Since the old tank is a live rock setup, I long ago abandoned all the innards of a wet-dry filter the LFS sales shark told me I HAD to have. It quickly turned into a nitrite factory and with the sage advice of Waterkeeper - *tip of the hat* - I removed everything but some crushed coral substrate, the pump and the skimmer. I have very few corals but plan to add more. My tank is still pretty much live rock and fish. I'f I transfer some of the large coral from the established tank and make a 'fuge out of my overflow, will I be able to keep the pods? My mandarin goby needs 'em. Then, if possible I'd like to also get rid of the rest of the crushed coral and substitute AragAlive or something a little finer.

Those are just a few concerns... :eek1: I'm sure I'll have more questions. Advice, anyone??

johnam
03/04/2005, 07:24 PM
I would recomend visiting www.melevsreef.com
He shows in great detail the steps he took moving a 55 gal to a 280. Obviously much larger a transistion but might prove helpful in planing your project.
Good Luck - John