PDA

View Full Version : compatibility

rygar126
03/04/2005, 05:49 PM
hi everybody, im new here. i have a ten gallon cycling right now. i was planning on putting several corals, an aneneme, a cleaner shrimp, snails, hermit crab, porcelin crab, sea star, and 2 clownfish. my question is, whats my limit or whats a typical stock for a 10 gallon. all my specifics are in my signature. thanks

bertoni
03/04/2005, 05:52 PM
[welcome]

An anemone is probably not a good animal for a 10g tank, on average, especially for a beginner. Many sea stars do poorly in tanks. Other than that, I don't see a big problem with your list, as long as you're not planning to keep stony corals.

rygar126
03/04/2005, 05:55 PM
whats wrong with stony coral. what kind of care does it require for an anemone

bertoni
03/04/2005, 06:27 PM
Stony corals and anemones like very clean water. Your tank is pretty small for that fish load and stony corals, IMO. You might be able to do it with a lot of work. Anemones require a lot of food and can grow very large. In addition, they can die rapidly if water conditions take a turn for the worst. I'd say wait a year or at least 6 months and then reconsider the anemone.

There's a sticky note at the top of this forum with more information. Also Dr Shimek has written a booklet on host anemones. It's available on amazon.com. I think there's a link on the RC book page.