PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Cycling Question

jurock00
03/04/2005, 03:57 PM
I just started a 55 gal saltwater tank, converted from a mature freshwater tank. I was told that the same beneficial bacteria works for both so I didn't sterilize the filter or tank or anything.

I've had the water going for 6 days now with 50 lbs live rock and 20 lbs live sand (the wet kind w/ the worms and stuff), and so far there is no detectable ammonia or nitrites. The salinity is 1.026(which I heard was optimal for reef tanks) and the PH is 8.2. The LR has a lot of life on it, including Aptasia which is another issue, and we have a few small (quarter size) brittle stars and lots of spongy type things and lots of purple and red algae. Also we got 18 gals. of water from a friend mature tank.

I really don't want to add Damsels. What else can I do to jumpstart this process so we can get some fish in there? And is it possible that the water is already ready to go?

Julia

jurock00
03/04/2005, 03:59 PM
Also can I add a peppermint shrimp w/out murdering it?
Julia

iCam
03/04/2005, 04:04 PM
Hey, and:

[welcome]

So, you had taken everything out of the tank, and then set it back up? Did you ever use any freshwater medications, et cetera, in that tank?

Since you have live sand and live rock, that should jump start the cycling. I would wait at least a few days, and then test the water again. Cycling time differs from tank to tank. Since you have the sand and rock, you don't really need to add any livestock to help the cycle. If anything, a piece of fresh dead shrimp would suffice.

As far as the peppermint shrimp, I would continue to wait until you can verify that the cycle is through.

Stevan
03/04/2005, 04:24 PM
Do nothing, add nothing... Test Often!

Once your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates read 0-0-0 for 2 weeks or so and your pH is 7.8-8.4, SG 1.024-026 and Temp in 76-80ish your Good-to-Go...Slowly. Very Slowly.

jurock00
03/04/2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I know I'm being impatient...

I just tested the water again and there was 0 ammonia, .5ppm Nitrite and .25 Nitrate. How did I get Nitrite and Nitrate w/out ever detecting Ammonia ( I've tested everyday for 6 days)?

How do you reduce the Nitrate levels? Is water change the only way?? Should I do a water change now and then be ready one or two shrimp??

Julia

tsquad
03/04/2005, 04:45 PM
I think your cycle is just beginning. Maybe the bacteria are so efficient in converting ammonia they did it without you noticing. So I would wait a few weeks before adding any shrimp or anything other alive thing at all actually.
And yes,
http://tinypic.com/20icky
RACES!!!
:rollface::rollface:
Tyler

Stevan
03/04/2005, 04:50 PM
You probably missed the ammonia-hobby test kits arent the most accurate. What type do you use?

The anaerobic bacteria inside the live rock will get to the Nitrates-eventually. What you're waiting for is for enuf of them to grow to do the job...And that takes time, hence GO SLOWLY!

If it make you happy to change water, do it. Either way it's still going to take time.

And NO-You can't just change water and add live shrimp-Cooked Cocktail Shrimp from the supermarket, OK. No sauce though and it will just slow the process down.

iCam
03/04/2005, 04:52 PM
Levels don't have to be proportional. You can have no nitrites, but have nitrates, phosphates, et cetera. Be patient, and test your parameters at least every few days. When the cycle is complete, and your levels have remained at zero for at least a week, preferably two, you can slowly start to add livestock.

I would greatly advise against any livestock as of right now since you have detectable nitrites. Aquaria inhabitants are very sensitive to these. You can do a small water change, but otherwise you just need to wait and let the cycle run its course.