PDA

View Full Version : toofishy.com order

allykahn
03/04/2005, 09:20 AM
I ordered a few things from toofishy a few days ago (astrea snails, mexican red hermits, conch and nassarius snails). Everything was packaged great, but the box was huge. My concern is the nassarius snails as their shells were extremely dark. I have never seen shells this dark on any others that I previously purchased. I read that there are some species being sold as nassarius that truly are not. I wanted to get some feedback here first before I contacted toofishy.

Stixbaraca
03/04/2005, 09:24 AM
I read in the thread these other types of snails are called Llyanassa snails. I believe it was a thread about buying snails on EBay or something. Not sure how close the 2 types of snails are. I think a characteristic of the Llyanassa snails is that they just lay eggs all the time!

Stixbaraca
03/04/2005, 09:25 AM
Any pictures of the Nass you bought?

GettingFiesty
03/04/2005, 09:26 AM
My "nassarius" snails are really dark too, but I bought them on the web so they may not be real. BUT with that said they burrow into the sand, come out when food is around, and then come out again when the lights are off and work on cleaning the glass, etc. They may not be real, but I still like them.

Sonia Taro
03/04/2005, 09:29 AM
I do not think think that Todd would sell you anything but the real deal. JMO

allykahn
03/04/2005, 09:36 AM
I don't know Todd personally and since this was my first order with him, I posted here to ask you guys.

Sorry, I did not take any pics, but I will try to do so this weekend.

Stixbaraca
03/04/2005, 09:48 AM
I have heard nothig but good about his shop. I would always think that would be some underhanded thing that would NOT happen at a brick and mortar store!

allykahn
03/04/2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys, I'll let it be.

EMBRYOGUY
03/04/2005, 03:36 PM
your so close by allentown. why didnt you jsut take a trip? its worth it. i have the same snails. and they are correct. todd knows his stuff. ive never had bad advice from him at all.

best of luck.

rmesola
03/04/2005, 04:10 PM
some nassarius are white, some are black shelled depending on where they come from, it's the shell configuration and the characteristic spout that comes out which identifies them...

glh7767
03/04/2005, 08:34 PM
nassarius is a genus. under that are several species that are sold in the aquarium trade. i have about 60 of those from todd, they're fine. the hobbyist value of the various nassarius species varies very little. throw em in, watch them disappear into the sand, then watch them pop up at dinner time.

gary

Ciali
03/04/2005, 11:55 PM
I also got the snails from e-bay as nassarius and they act just like getting fiesty's snails. They are actually Llyanassa snails and don't eat any algea just left over food from when I feed them. They are also really dark and they do lay a lot of eggs.

Ciali

allykahn
03/05/2005, 11:14 PM
embryoguy,
I would have loved to go there, but my schedule has been hectic lately. I will definately pay a visit there soon. I also purchased some mexican red hermits and some of them are sporting nassarius shells already.