PDA

View Full Version : Need Squamaipinnis anthias INFO

Screamer
03/03/2005, 06:49 PM
I just purchased a harem of Squamaipinnis anthis (1 male and 3 females) they have been in my reef for 2 days now and look great. Since this is my first time attempting to keep anthias any suggestions would be more than helpful.

I have fed the tank 2 time since I introduced them into the aquarium, all 4 have tasted the food but it does not look like any are eating it. I know that the species is known for being very hard to keep based on the feeding issue, and i have also heard that they can be enticed to eat other things besides plankton and small verts.

The reef is very established with a very healthy refugium producing pods, mysis, and any other life that could be found in a fuge. (It is so bad sometimes i have to wipe the glass to clearly see through the pods)

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :rollface:

Jeffie
03/04/2005, 01:16 PM
Sounds like you are off to a great start. Squamapinnis is a good species to start with. Just try feeding them lots of variety and with your fuge they should be fine. Keep water quality up to par and you will have a great little harem. How big is your tank?

d4a2n0k
03/04/2005, 01:33 PM
Try some Cyclop-eeze if you havent already. Most Anthias will take this food without any problems. Just get them feeding on something and they will eventually eat anything you put in. Great fish.

Screamer
03/04/2005, 01:36 PM
The tank is a 90 gallon, with a 30 gallon sump/fuge and a 20 gal plummed into the system. (wanna spawn my black percs in the 20) Water quality is always kept high, and the fuge puts out ALOT of food to main tank. Gonnaset up a 10 gal tonite to hatch out brine shrimp and give them a try on the anthias. Aslo working on making a food mix to feed to everyone with a little bit of everything.

Thanks for the reply :)

DJ88©
03/04/2005, 02:10 PM
Once they eat they will keep eating anything. Mine went after mysis then everything else came along after.

Be warned tho. I had 6 and now I have 1. They are agressive towards each other. The dominant ones more than likely will go after the smaller ones. And if you don't have enough room they will slowly decrease in numbers.

I have spoke to a few people who have had the same result. You need a very large number of these fish in a very large tank IME.

Screamer
03/04/2005, 02:30 PM
I am going to hope that the other fish in the tank will sway the aggression between the anthias. My tank is very active, there is always something swimming around.

Again thanks for the info :rollface:

O'Coralman
03/04/2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Screamer
I am going to hope that the other fish in the tank will sway the aggression between the anthias. My tank is very active, there is always something swimming around.

Again thanks for the info :rollface:

I am with DJ on this....it would be folly to assume the other fish will quell fighting as that will not likelly happen. I have not seen inter species fighting effected by others outside the species. In your case if it happens the anthias may all stop eating from being chased. They need lots of room and a 90 while big to some...compared to thier natural habitat it is like a closet.

Screamer
03/04/2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by O'Coralman
I am with DJ on this....it would be folly to assume the other fish will quell fighting as that will not likelly happen. I have not seen inter species fighting effected by others outside the species. In your case if it happens the anthias may all stop eating from being chased. They need lots of room and a 90 while big to some...compared to thier natural habitat it is like a closet.

I did not mean other species fighting and chasing the anthias. Just the fact that thf fish in my tank are so active in movement not aggression. I watched the tank very close for almost 5 hours after adding the anthias, the only form of aggression was from the flame angel and that was put to an abrupt end by the male anthias. It has been 3 days and there is not a torn or bitten fin showing.

They do not seem to move more than 6 inches away from each other, and when ones goes for a piece of food they all have to taste it.

But like i said it has only been 3 days so i will see what happens.