PDA

View Full Version : Going to Maui/Oahu: Snorkeling/Scuba ?'s

FlipFlops24/7
03/03/2005, 11:08 AM
Just looking for any bit of advice/information I can get.

Im going to Hawaii on May 30th for my Honeymoon. Will be staying 6 nights on Maui, staying at the Westin in Kaanapali, then going to Oahu for 3 nights.

Can someone tell me where the best snorkeling spots might be this time of year? We are also going to take diving classes before we go. Does anyone recommend a certain Diving Charter to go with? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

T.J.

scubadude
03/03/2005, 11:29 AM
Maui diving.

Molokini Crater, inside the crater you will have awesome scuba/snorkelling most all year round cuz its sheltered.

Also try La perouse bay (i believe thats the name of it) As far as outfits go

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/588/2934dive10.jpg

luvtolean
03/03/2005, 01:16 PM
I was on Kauai last month and it was very dirty. It was still nice getting in the water, but you had to be right on top of corals to see colors. The good news is the whales are everywhere, we could see them from the beach. My GF's boss is in Kauai now and the whales are still out.

On Maui, we went out with Rainbow Chaser (http://www.rainbowchasermaui.com/) out of Lahaina. It was a great trip. Great snorkeling, turtles, flying fish etc.

On Oahu,

Hanauma Bay (http://www.activities-hawaii.com/oahu/snorkel.html) is outstanding snorkeling right from the beach. If you decide to go out to the outer reef, take a buddy, and make sure you pay attention to the tide tables. A friend and I didn't, and we got pounded on the rocks (the tide went out) then had to fight like crazy against the outgoing tide to get in. It was the only time I've ever been nervous in the water.

Jeffie
03/03/2005, 01:24 PM
There's a good snorkeling spot right on the end of Kannapali called black rock. Lots of fish. Huge unicorns, naso's, dussimers, yellows, morish idols, humu triggers, rectangle triggers, goatfish, stars and stripes puffers, turtles, stingrays, etc. etc. It is a very poplular snorkeling spot so go at sun up when the fish are waking up and theres not that many people in the water yet and it is so fun. Go to a ABC store and buy some of that snorkel fish food and you will be surrounded by all types of fish.

For diving we dove Molokini and it was a blast!

pad
03/03/2005, 01:28 PM
There are many places that you don't hear about to go snorkeling. Check out the maps at the hotel, they will give you mile markers. Molokini was awesome the first time around. But it was pretty expensive (diving) if i remember. I was satisfied with the snorkeling the second time around until the monsoons hit and washed all that red dirt into the water for a few weeks. I stayed for over a month at the Hyatt right down the road. Nice places.

FlipFlops24/7
03/03/2005, 01:32 PM
you guys have been a great help. Thanks. I will remember to get some fish food, thats a good idea. hope a barracuda doesnt smell it in the water!

Jeffie
03/03/2005, 01:43 PM
LOL, I don't remember seeing any barracuda at Black rock. I would get some of that fish food for sure. The goatfish and tangs would eat right out of our hands. The triggers and the big unicorns and such would stay about 5-10 feet away from us. It was a blast feeding them.

mike89t
03/03/2005, 02:24 PM
We stayed on Maui for 10 days when we got married. We brough our own gear and found several great snorkling sites. There were a couple nice places right off of the resorts we stayed at. One was called the Maui Prince the other was the Grand Wailea.

However the best Snorkling we found was further down the road from the Wailea hotels. Basically you keep going past Big Beach. I think there was a place nicknamed the Fish Bowl that a lot of people stop at. It was to crowded and there were a lot of kids there. However if you keep going down the road and get on the dirt road for a little ways you can find a secluded Lava Rock beach that has awesome snorkling and no one there!

mike89t
03/03/2005, 02:27 PM
Also this is the best guide book for Maui! I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971727902/qid=1109877982/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9919998-8545768?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

FlipFlops24/7
03/03/2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by mike89t
Also this is the best guide book for Maui! I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971727902/qid=1109877982/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9919998-8545768?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

So funny you said that. I just ordered that book yesterday on Amazon.com , as well as "Oahu Revealed." I hear they are awesome books and tell you secret spots to snorkel, ect.

Thanks!

skedens
03/03/2005, 02:43 PM
How was the Maui Prince? My fiance and I are staying there in june when we get married?

mike89t
03/03/2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Debaser
So funny you said that. I just ordered that book yesterday on Amazon.com , as well as "Oahu Revealed." I hear they are awesome books and tell you secret spots to snorkel, ect.

Thanks!

Yep. That's how we found that secret snorkeling spot way off the beaten path. That book was definitely our bible in Maui!

magnum420
03/03/2005, 03:15 PM
I highly recommend Molokini Crater. We chartered a 50ft sailboat to go out there last time I was there. The ride out there was great with whales surfacing very close to the boat. The snorkeling was great as well, but I imagine it can get kind of crouded on busy days.

One of the best places that we snorkled was just somewhere we pulled off on the side of the road, walked about 100yards down to an isolated cove and dove in.

If you bring fish food(we brought granola I think) its a good idea to put it in something like a film canister that can be sealed untill you want to use it.

Have fun!
MAg

greenbean36191
03/03/2005, 03:21 PM
On Oahu check out Lanikai. It takes some looking to find it, but it's usually not crowded and the scenery above the water is just as good as below.

thedude15810
03/03/2005, 06:24 PM
In Oahu I highly recommend taking a day trip to the north shore. I don't think the surf will be bad at all in May. We stayed in Oahu for three days then for 5 days at the Turtle Bay Resort on the north shore last June. If you go into Hale'iwa town there is a store called "Strong Current" right on the main drag. They have a local map there that will point you to the best snorkeling that I found in Hawaii. For fish and the such, Shark's cove can't be beat. Several extremely shallow points along with some deeper rock formations, caves, etc. Unlike the name, there are no sharks. The current in Shark's cove can be a little strong near any of the points that it pours into the open ocean but my 14 year old sister was fine. It was way better than anywhere I snorkeled off Oahu. The map will also point you to a spot where giant sea turtles congregate daily. I walked into the water with a hand full of algae I picked off the rocks and had 5 or 6 incredibly gentle sea turtles swimming with me. One of the coolest experiences of my life. The city of Honolulu to me feels like any other big city with a beach, the North Shore was trully fantastic. Near Oahu is also Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve which was voted the most beautiful beach in the world. It was also fun, and I saw several wild acro colonies growing there but Shark's cove was by far the best.

John

ulua56
03/03/2005, 08:17 PM
Ulua Beach , my fav for snorkeling

FlipFlops24/7
03/03/2005, 10:24 PM
thedude15810,

thank you for the feedback. Great idea to grab some algae and lure the sea turtles to you. How cool! I will definately check out the Shark's cove. Sounds so awesome.

Im taking notes on everything you guys are mentioning. I appreciate every little bit of advice!

aujay
03/03/2005, 10:45 PM
If you schedule a trip out to Molokini crater I would schedule an early morning trip because the boat captain said that some of the afternoon trips get canceled due to high winds. The winds really pick up in the afternoon.

I thought some of the best snorkeling was at black rock, and another place thats towards the end of that same road, I can't remember the name.

That book is great though. They have a ton of tips and tricks in there. We found a great place to hang out when we were on the road to hana. it was up a gravel road and there was a nice waterfal and several small pools, and it was completely deserted. Oh, remember that ALL the beaches in Maui are public, so don't let people tell you its their beach and no trespassing. We had a couple of people claim the beaches were theirs and try to charge us at a couple of places we stopped on the road to hana.

FlipFlops24/7
03/04/2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by aujay
Oh, remember that ALL the beaches in Maui are public, so don't let people tell you its their beach and no trespassing. We had a couple of people claim the beaches were theirs and try to charge us at a couple of places we stopped on the road to hana.

Really, I always wondered that. Thats really good to know. I'm all about finding secluded beaches, and I dont want to worry about trespassing. Thanks for the tip!

GW Shark
03/04/2005, 12:35 PM
On Maui try Honolua Bay. It is a sanctuary (no fishing) just 2 or 3 miles above the Kapalua resort. Very cool dirt trail to a secluded bay with tall mountains on both sides. Great for diving and snorkeling, though not if it has been raining because the runoff will cloud the water. Also, try Olawalu beach. It is a very flat, wide, and close to shore reef excellent for snorkeling (and you can park 50 ft. from the water). That one is right on the main road not too far from Kaanapali.

Also, I have taken dive trips to Molokini and to Lanai out of Lahaina Harbor. Both were fantastic (dolphins, sharks, manta rays), but I second the comment "go in the morning". It can get quite choppy in the channel when the wind comes up.

Have fun on your trip!

aujay
03/04/2005, 01:12 PM
I meant to mention this in my last post, but since you'll probably have to adjust to the time change a little, it may not be a bad idea to schedule the early morning dive trips early in your trip, since you'll be up bright and early anyways. Most places let you schedule them online.

reefboy1
03/04/2005, 01:25 PM
In Maui I'd recommend Ed Robinson dives http://www.mauiscuba.com/erd1.htm . They take fewer people on their charters so you don't feel like you're in a school bus. I'd also recommend diving the Cathedrals - awesome rock formations. Just be aware that they only dive that spot once a week because it's a slightly longer boat trip.

Molokini is also good but often very crowded with divers, snorklers and party boats. You can escape the crowd by diving the backside - which although a somewhat barren wall has the opportunity for interesting big fish and dolphins.

Enjoy the clear waters but bring a 3mm - it'll be cold.

Art

FlipFlops24/7
03/04/2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by reefboy1

Enjoy the clear waters but bring a 3mm - it'll be cold.

Art

The water is really cold there? Thats not that far from the mainland. What do you think the water temp is?

Also, does anyone know if there is a place that rents underwater camera housings? I will have my Canon 350D by then and would love to take it underwater with me. Just wondering. Thanks

Spiffyguy
03/04/2005, 01:58 PM
debaser I went there for my honeymoon. I had a blast. The only snorkeling we did was on Maui and we hit Molokini. Was really a good time. On Oahu we did the Atlantis submarine tour. That was alot of fun too. Check out my website I have pics of all the places we hit on our 3 island tour.

hawaiianwargod
03/04/2005, 02:01 PM
Aloha everyone!!!

hawaiianwargod
03/04/2005, 02:06 PM
Hanauma bay in Oahu...snorkling and stuff. In Maui...pls check out Hana...its quite a ride to get there but its beautiful. As far as diving in Maui...reefboy1 is right check mauiscuba..awesome!

reefboy1
03/04/2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Debaser
The water is really cold there? Thats not that far from the mainland. What do you think the water temp is?

When I was there in April the water temp was mid to high 70's. I can do a dive or two with just a skin, but then I have to pull the 3mm on.

Art

FlipFlops24/7
03/04/2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Spiffyguy
debaser I went there for my honeymoon. I had a blast. The only snorkeling we did was on Maui and we hit Molokini. Was really a good time. On Oahu we did the Atlantis submarine tour. That was alot of fun too. Check out my website I have pics of all the places we hit on our 3 island tour.

Great website. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by hawaiianwargod
Aloha everyone!!!

Aloha to you too!