PDA

View Full Version : OT: Whats to do?

new2
03/01/2005, 04:26 PM
Hi
I'm a Florida reefer and will be in the San Jose/ Milpitas area from March 13-25 on business training.

Looking for reccomendations on stores to visit and input on the area. "Whats to do?" etc.

Thanks

Bill

GreshamH
03/01/2005, 04:37 PM
Well, from San Jose, going north, hit:
Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas
Atlantis (not sure of their city)
Tropical Paradise in San Leandro
Aquascene in Hayward (best SPS around)
and since your next door, Aquarium Concepts.
Octopus's Garden in Berkeley
over the Bay Bridge
Lucky Ocean in San Fransisco
down to Underwater World in South San Fransisco
Sunnyvale Natural LIfe
Dolphin Pet Village in Cambell
And your back where you started :) One big loop of the bay. If you wanted to stray from that path, from Octopus's Garden, take the 24 to Concord and visit All About Pets and The Aquarium.

If you want to see a sight you'll never see again, hit 6th Avenue in San Fransisco.

sfsuphysics
03/01/2005, 04:41 PM
Wow Gresham do you also provide shuttle service too?? :)

new2
03/01/2005, 04:48 PM
Sounds like I know what I'll be doin' on my free Saturday -

But I have to ask . . .

6th Avenue in San Fransisco?

jedininja
03/01/2005, 06:11 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=536308

IMO, you could skip the second half of that trip. After hitting some of the best LFS in northern ca, you really wont see too much new at Lucky Ocean, Underater world, or Natural life.

Natterjak
03/01/2005, 06:55 PM
Atlantis Aquarium is in Fremont - www.atlantisaquarium.net

All About Fish is in Pleasant Hill, and The Aquarium is in Concord - they are literally one exit apart on the freeway.

Aquatic Gallery opens at 11 am on Saturday, All About Fish is one of the earlier ones to open, at 10 am, but unfortunately that's the furthest from where you're starting.

reefgirlee
03/02/2005, 03:10 AM
Well I definently think that you should hit up some of the Northern LFS ie : Underwater World and Lucky Ocean.. If you want to meet some one who's been in the industry for a very long time and values the quality of his animals joe is the person to talk to @ Underwater World he is knowlegdeable like no other .. I used to frequent quite often but since I moved to San Jose I hit it up now and then. They have the best quality fish that I've ever seen... I like their corals as well there are a variety of rare species ... just make sure you go in on a wed after new shipments have arrived or simply give them a call to see when new shipments will be in you can ask for joe @ 650-583-2220 ... tell him reefgirlee sent cha ..

As for lucky Ocean ,
They too have good quality marine.. Steve is a very nice gentelman and will assist you in any way that he can..
worth the look...

new2
03/04/2005, 03:11 PM
If you want to see a sight you'll never see again, hit 6th Avenue in San Fransisco.

OK So what's on 6th Avenue?

GreshamH
03/04/2005, 03:37 PM
All the places listed have some merit to them IMO, thats why I posted them. I did leave off like 20 other stores ;)

One of thousands of posts on Six Ave:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=536308

I'll let the link speak for itself :D *cough*turn and burn*cough*

derek
03/05/2005, 05:28 PM
In addition to stores, in the "What's to do" category you might consider a run down to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Opposite direction from the tour listed above. Right now they have a great white in their outer reef display.

http://www.mbayaq.org/

Derek