PDA

View Full Version : OOHH MY GooDNESSS TANK is CRACKED!!!

lostduck80
03/01/2005, 09:35 AM
I can't believe It, Like I said before it was A used tank,and there is about 2" of sand at the bottom so I scuped out alot of the sand and what did I see... a crake 3-4" long at the bottom of the tank!!! What should I do can I still use it?.....( I don't think so)

I got it at a LFS so I plan on going back today and have a talk with them. CAN a the crack be fix or sealed again? I know a guy that does windshield I'm going to give a call but I think IT's a no go.

rcmike
03/01/2005, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't chance it. What size is it? I wonder why the sand was in it. Hmmmm.. If I was you I would try to get my money back.

c_stowers
03/01/2005, 10:28 AM
I would say that you would at least need to replace the peice of glass that is cracked. As rcmike said, don't risk trying to repair it.

rcmike
03/01/2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I'd have a professional do it and that might end up costing more than the tank did if it was used. I don't know for sure though, I have never had one repaired.

coralreefing
03/01/2005, 10:47 AM
I talked to Glass Cages about resealing my 55 and he wouldn't do it. He said new silicone won't stick to old silicone, so any seam that isn't cleaned 100% silicone free would leak. Not worth the risk.

c_stowers
03/01/2005, 12:55 PM
I have replaced tank glass before. I had no problem getting it to seal, but I did spend alot of time getting the glass clean. It shouldn't be too expensive to get a replacement. I replaced the bottom of a 55 for about $40.00.

SRA4031
03/01/2005, 01:05 PM
It is better to take off all silcone, cause like Chris said, old does not adhere new too good, also the glass would have t be cleaned as well.

gflat65
03/01/2005, 02:17 PM
By the time you but a new sheet of glass, cut out the old broken glass, clean it all up enough to remove the silicone thoroughly from the old tank and reseal the new piece, you may be out more in time and money that the cost of another used tank. Opportunity cost can be a killer. Let me know who you are dealing with, also. You can PM me if you'd like. I'd just like to know because I'm from that area.

SRT80
03/01/2005, 08:57 PM
I thought the tank you bought was a flat back hex acrylic tank? E

rcmike
03/01/2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah, exactly what size tank is this and what is it made of?

lostduck80
03/02/2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the help guys The tank is made by DSA or DAS something like that, well the LFS owner is being pretty good about the whole thing, He said it was a custom ordered and made tank so there should still be a warranty on it. And if not he will pay for all the fixing or replacements that need to be done, and I said that is all good but then he has to ensure the job-he then say that he will call the manufacture to see- or he just might replace the tank for me. Here is a link to the crack and the pic of the tank

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9101&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

the LFS send a guy to my house to look at the tank ( the guy said he will talk to the manufacture and see- because of the way the tank was made there is a wooden brace at the bottom of the tank- and a big piece of glass and silicone inside of the tank might fix the problem. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

lucent1123
03/02/2005, 02:08 PM
With as much money as you are going to have sitting in your tank, I would request a replacement..... or at the minimum to have it repaired by the manufacturer, who will probably send out a new one anyway....

gflat65
03/02/2005, 02:19 PM
I'd request a new one, too.