PDA

View Full Version : 360g TWELVE FEET LONG Tank FS in NC

reelheel
02/28/2005, 09:52 PM
Hello All,

I have a 360g glass tank measuring 144x24x24 for sale in Eastern North Carolina. I bought this tank (used) prior to moving to my current home and had plans to build it into a wall. Unfortunately, due to the wall being about 6" too short, I have no place to put such a long tank. I've been holding on to the tank for several months hoping to find a spot for it but reality has finally set in. My loss is your gain. Some details:

The tank has two overflow chambers installed on the back glass with a 1" hole drilled in each chamber. There are also two additional 1" holes drilled (two on the bottom glass and two on the sides near the top) that were used for a closed loop. There are three large (~24" x 24") glass braces that run across the top of the tank for added strength.

I also have an unfinished (but structurally sound) wood stand that will be included with the tank. The tank is not currently being used and could be picked up whenever a potential buyer is able to get transportation arranged.

I am asking $900 or best offer. Serious inquiries by PM only please. Any questions should be posted as replies to this thread.

Thank you.

Johnsteph10
02/28/2005, 10:06 PM
Can you tell us about the condition of the tank/stand? How thick is the glass? Age?

reelheel
02/28/2005, 10:22 PM
The tank is used, not sure exactly how old but probably 5 years or so would be my guess. It's not perfect like a brand new tank, but there are no noticeable scratches, cracks, etc.

The tank isn't here in front of me now but I'm pretty sure it's 3/4" glass. Don't hold me to that...it may be 1/2"...I can check tomorrow to make sure. I can say with authority though that it has very strong bracing.

The stand is very sturdy and holds the tank with no problem, but it's not "finished" like a display stand. I was going to have it built into a wall between my garage and living room so looks weren't important to me. The stand doesn't have doors, etc. but could easily be skinned and then stained or painted.

sixliner6
02/28/2005, 10:59 PM
Im very interested could you please send pics Im in WV and pickup would be no prob. Just would like to see it. Thanks

sabodish
02/28/2005, 11:09 PM
i helped build this tank..this tank was previously owned by "glassshark" who is a member here. whoever buys this tank should know the ENTIRE tank is tempered. NO additional holes can be drilled in this tank and it is constructed from 1/2" glass.
as a side note, this tank is approximately 7 years old.
-mike

reelheel
03/01/2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks Mike for the updated info. I was hoping one of you guys would chime in with some of the technical specs.

I'll get some pics ASAP. Not sure how good they'll be because the tank is 12ft. long and in storage, so it may be difficult to get decent whole-tank pics without moving it...and I definitely can't move it without some help!

sabodish
03/01/2005, 08:52 AM
james...too bad you cant use it, its such a great tank....i gotta see if i can dig up some pics of when glassshark had it set up in his basement. we used to spend many hours (and many beers) sitting in front of that thing. if i could fit it in my house, id buy it for sure.

reelheel
03/01/2005, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I actually would love to keep this tank because I doubt I'll ever have another opportunity to own such a unique tank. I've been itching to see some tangs strutting back and forth along the 12ft front glass...
The reality is, though, that I know I wouldn't be able to set it up for at least a few years, and I've just got too many tanks as it is.

So, if someone else has room for it, just let me know before I change my mind and decide to keep it! ;)

sixxer
03/01/2005, 05:40 PM
Wow, Very, Very tempting!!!!

I would love to see pics. if anyone finds any.

Don't know if the wife would allow me to have two twelve foot tanks in the basement?:eek:

What part of Carolina are you in?

reelheel
03/01/2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Sixxer,

I'm about halfway between the "Triangle" region and the coast, just outside Greenville, NC. It's about an hour and a half drive east from Raleigh, the capital.

I've been at work since early this morning, and I had to go straight to school tonight so I haven't been able to go by to try to get pics. I'll try my best to get some tomorrow. Don't get too excited, though, as they'll just be pics of an empty tank sitting on some 4x4s. Maybe Mike (sabodish) can come up with some pics with it up and running. Pics of this tank full of fish/corals would be awesome I'm sure...

sixxer
03/01/2005, 05:56 PM
Anywhere near Havelock, New Bern? I used to live there, and have friends there still.

Originally posted by reelheel
Hi Sixxer,

I'm about halfway between the "Triangle" region and the coast, just outside Greenville, NC. It's about an hour and a half drive east from Raleigh, the capital.

I've been at work since early this morning, and I had to go straight to school tonight so I haven't been able to go by to try to get pics. I'll try my best to get some tomorrow. Don't get too excited, though, as they'll just be pics of an empty tank sitting on some 4x4s. Maybe Mike (sabodish) can come up with some pics with it up and running. Pics of this tank full of fish/corals would be awesome I'm sure...

reelheel
03/01/2005, 05:58 PM
I'm about a 45 minute drive west from New Bern...maybe an hour or so west of Havelock. Not far at all. A little further to Cinci, though. :)

sixxer
03/01/2005, 06:04 PM
I have made the road trip to Havelock a dozen times or more since I moved to Cincinnati.

The trick is doing it with something that can haul a 12 foot glass tank without breaking it!!!!

reelheel
03/01/2005, 06:16 PM
When I bought the tank I was still living in the Triangle area, but I was already planning to move here. I bought the tank thinking it would fit into a "perfect" spot I had picked out in the house we were looking at buying. According to the MLS listing we got from the realtor, the room was 12x26. After we bought the house and I did some actual measurements, it turned out that the wall was only about 11'6"...what a bummer.

The tank move wasn't too bad actually. Getting the tank out of the previous owner's basement was tough, but unloading it here proved a lot easier. Loading it up on my end should be fairly easy whenever a buyer were to come get it. BTW, I rented a large U-haul type truck (14ft.) long that worked perfectly to move the tank and stand.

tim jenkins
03/01/2005, 10:51 PM
still no pictures? how are the silicone corners?

sabodish
03/01/2005, 11:17 PM
ill try and contact the original owner and get some

gitsumpottery
03/02/2005, 06:05 PM
Hey guys,
I know James is having problems with his camera right now. I am going over to his place this weekend, and I will try to get some pictures of the tank and stand and post back here. In fact, I will try to upload them for James at his house on Saturday.

Zac

cirri
03/02/2005, 09:15 PM
Dude I will move your wall 7" for $1,000!

DerekW
03/02/2005, 11:07 PM
Man, can't you center it and just loose 3" off either end. Cut into the drywall or something?

reelheel
03/03/2005, 10:03 PM
Cirri and DerekW - I've already ruled out trying to fit the tank into the wall. Both of the walls on the sides of the wall the tank would go into are load-bearing, and would be difficult (and expensive) to alter. At this point it's not important, though, because I've already got a new system that will take the place of the 360...

so...for those of you who were interested in pics...

I managed to take a few shots yesterday evening. My buddy Zac will post them shortly. Please note that the pics are not good, and the tank is in an awkward position that makes getting good shots nearly impossible. I was able to take one pic from above looking down onto the tank, one pic of the stand, and one looking down directly over the overflow. The tank glass looks hazy due to Southdown (fine sand) residue remaining from when the tank was last filled. I have not cleaned the tank at all, so there is a fair amount of film on the glass that will wipe off. You also can't get a good representation of the size, but trust me it's 12ftx2ftx2ft. You really need to see it in person to appreciate the size.
If you have any further questions, just let me know.

gitsumpottery
03/04/2005, 07:39 AM
Hey all,

Here are the pictures:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/getsumpottery/360gStand.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/getsumpottery/360gTopView.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/getsumpottery/OverflowChamber.jpg

Zac

reelheel
03/04/2005, 06:43 PM
Sorry, the pics didn't turn out too good but maybe they give you an idea of what the tank is like. I forgot to mention that the back glass is painted black, and the front glass is against the wall, so that's why there aren't any pics showing a front view.

BTW, I've had some interest in the tank, but so far it's still available. PM me if you're interested or if you'd like to come see the tank in person.

tim jenkins
03/05/2005, 12:17 AM
the silicone corners are still good? never got an answer. i might be interested in a "roadie" to come check it out.

gitsumpottery
03/05/2005, 07:39 AM
Sorry James if I answer this for you, but it was filled up less than a year ago. No problems with leakage then (that's also why it has southdown residue).

Zac

reelheel
03/05/2005, 07:44 AM
Sorry Tim that I hadn't responded to your question. Of course, I can't guarantee anything 100%, but I don't know of any problems concerning the seals on the tank. The tank is ready to be filled. In fact, the tank was full of water, LR, and southdown sand just prior to me moving it here.

For anyone serious enough to come see the tank in person, I'd be glad to fill it with water from a nearby hose to re-check the seams for you.

tim jenkins
03/06/2005, 01:09 PM
still for sale right?how many people did it take to move to your house?

reelheel
03/06/2005, 05:05 PM
Tank is still for sale. A lot of interest but no $$$.

We had 9 guys lift it and carry out of the other guy's basement, but that was a difficult place to get it out of and we had to walk with it about 40-50 yards to the truck.

Here, we were able to just back the truck up to the porch and basically just slide the tank off. It should be able to be loaded relatively easily on my end with 4-5 people. I'll supply the help loading it up here as long as you have a similar truck. If there's a weird situation where we would have to lift and carry the tank for some reason, then I'd probably need some help from the buyer loading it.

You will, of course, just have to arrange for help unloading the tank on your end. If you have to carry the tank any long distances or navigate through tight spaces, I'd plan for 10-12 guys just to be safe.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

reelheel
03/10/2005, 06:25 PM
Tank is still available. I've had some interest but not too many serious inquiries. Make me a reasonable offer on the tank and it's yours.

James

tim jenkins
03/13/2005, 08:48 PM
is the big tank still for sale? my friend says you're taking offers...

reelheel
03/14/2005, 07:37 PM
Tank is still for sale.

sixxer
03/14/2005, 08:22 PM
Still interested

In your opinion, could this tank be used as a display tank still?

sixxer
03/14/2005, 09:36 PM
Did you ever find any pics. of the tank from the previous owner while it was set-up?

reelheel
03/15/2005, 07:57 AM
Sorry guys, as far as I know, no one has found pics of the tank when it was set up previously, and I don't know the previous owner personally so I'm unable to contact them directly.

The tank needs to be cleaned, but it could definitely be used as a display. In my opinion, the tank would be absolutely spectacular for a fish-only tank, being that it would accommodate large fish (and large numbers of fish) comfortably. Honestly, the fact that it has the large glass braces somewhat prohibits lighting choices for a full-blown reef of the type that seems to be popular here on Reefcentral. Personally, I was planning on using a number of VHOs to light the tank and make it mainly a "reef safe" mostly fish-only tank with lots of colorful reef fish and a few lower-light corals just to add some texture.
On the other hand, the braces could probably be removed fairly easily and replaced with smaller ones or even eurobraced. I guess it depends upon what type of setup you would want and how much time/effort/money you'd want to put into it.
Either way, you're not going to get twelve linear feet of tank anywhere else for this kind of $$$.

James

sabodish
03/15/2005, 08:52 AM
james..im still waiting for eric to dig up some pics for me when he had it set up. for the record, his was a full blown reef when it was up, he had 5 250W halides over it with 4 6' vho actinics i believe..he wasnt into sps at the time, so it was mostly lps and softies...at the tanks peak, i think it was home to around 30 fish.
-mike

sixxer
03/15/2005, 09:30 AM
Sent you a PM ReelHeel.

Does anyone know if Glass Shark Inc. is still in business?

pclausen
03/15/2005, 09:44 AM
Just sent you a PM as well ReelHeel. I'll come get the tank on Saturday if we can work out a deal!

sixxer
03/15/2005, 08:39 PM
James,

Did you get my PM??? I got some large Tangs and Angels looking for a 12' long tank!!!!

Thanks

Aric

reelheel
03/15/2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks again Mike (sabodish) for the info.

I hope I responded to everyone's PMs...if not, please PM me again or post in the thread.

Thanks again guys for all the renewed interest. Someone's going to end up with a sweet tank.