PDA

View Full Version : new BTA

Rodeo Clownfish
02/28/2005, 03:26 PM
Hey. I just bought a beautiful BTA. It is in great condition, extremely healthy and beautiful, that's why I bought it. I have been planning on trying to pair up clownfish and an anemone, and I really like the BTA's. I would like to, after a month or so of anemone adjustment, get some clowns to see if they will take to it.

I'm sort of at a loss as to which clowns to get. All of those that are described as having a natural symbiotic relationship with this species are either unavailable or described as fairly aggressive.

What might some good recommendations be? What are the chances of something like a pair of Percula's hosting in this anemone? I would like to avoid the potentially very aggressive (GBM, which was actually my first choice until I read so much).

It isn't imperative to me that the anemone have a symbiotic relationship with a pair of fish, but it would be nice. I like the anemone on its own.

Andrew
02/28/2005, 03:56 PM
A pair of perculas would work. Tomato clownfish loves BTAs. I personaly like tomato clownfish better then percula. Ether one would one host it. Or other tpyes of clownfish.

OCDP
02/28/2005, 04:02 PM
evanish.. i have to disagree. percula clowns are not natural hosts to a BTA. your classic "nemo" really doesn't belong in the BTA .. but that's not to say they wont take to one.

your chances.. are unpredictable. same goes for Ocellaris. some will take to BTA's... some wont. You just have to try, and wait. Sometimes it can take months, even years for a clown to decide that they want to host.

Never get your hopes up.... but if things don't work out.. then you should try and get the clown that best suits that anemone. i'm pretty certain clarkii clowns are natural hosts to BTA's as well. I find clarkii's quite beautiful.. colors and body shape... and they are not overly agressive... and in all fairness here.... any clown has the potential to be agressive. my ocellaris female at home hates hands.... she seens hands... she bites. its instinct almost for her.

anyways .. HTH

OCDP
02/28/2005, 04:03 PM
double post. my bad.

coralreefing
02/28/2005, 04:16 PM
I asked a similar question last week in this thread.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4399091#post4399091

Andrew
02/28/2005, 04:21 PM
Ive seen purcula clownfish host them at the lfs.

griss
02/28/2005, 04:38 PM
My Percs have moved tanks a bit the last couple of years. When they were in my tank, they shunned a Blue Carpet in favor of a BTA. Then, when they were moved to my wife's tank, they shunned a Sebae in favor of the BTA. Now, they are in my daughters tank and still hosting in a BTA.

RicksReefs
02/28/2005, 04:48 PM
here ya go.

clown/anemone guide (http://www.reefs.org/library/compatibility.html)

O'Coralman
03/01/2005, 03:20 PM
Before making statements about clowns....I too have seen tomatos host BTA and my ocel. does as well.... both of my clowns, the orange and black clowns do. In fact the point I am making here is alot of the clowns we see are tank raised....so you can throw the book out the window with them. Tank raised clowns could care less about the "book"....as all of us have seen.

So in defense of Evanish(a lounge brother:D ) I would have to disagree with OCDP

................respectfully OCMan:p

coralreefing
03/01/2005, 03:34 PM
How did all the monkeys end up in this thread :)

OCMan, stop by the Middle TN Reef Club forum sometime.

mborn
03/01/2005, 03:53 PM
Tomato clowns naturally host BTA. I had my BTA before I had my tomato clown and when I introduced her she swam right to the anemone immediately. It took all of about 2 seconds for her to host.

OCDP
03/01/2005, 04:06 PM
I never said that it wont happen. I said it is unpredictable. Because it is.

Now, I would also like to mention that I have a pair of Ocellaris (CB) .. the female is the only one hosting the BTA's .. the male.... well I'm not sure why he hasn't... he's a little sloww :rolleyes:

But no, I didn't mean to come off as if I were saying that percs or ocellaris wont host. It's just unpredictable... not one person can give a definite answer when someone asks "will my percs host my BTA? will my ocellaris host my BTA?" the answer is . we don't know . only the clown can make that decision. some do. some don't

so i just wanted to clear up that I wasn't saying it will never happen. It does happen... it happened for me :D

OCDP

O'Coralman
03/01/2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by OCDP
I never said that it wont happen. I said it is unpredictable. Because it is.

Now, I would also like to mention that I have a pair of Ocellaris (CB) .. the female is the only one hosting the BTA's .. the male.... well I'm not sure why he hasn't... he's a little sloww :rolleyes:

But no, I didn't mean to come off as if I were saying that percs or ocellaris wont host. It's just unpredictable... not one person can give a definite answer when someone asks "will my percs host my BTA? will my ocellaris host my BTA?" the answer is . we don't know . only the clown can make that decision. some do. some don't

so i just wanted to clear up that I wasn't saying it will never happen. It does happen... it happened for me :D

OCDP

I agree.....Evanish is not suppose to leave the lounge alone. Sometimes we have to help out......and save the tyke from all these strangers:lol:

O'Coralman
03/01/2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by coralreefing
How did all the monkeys end up in this thread :)

OCMan, stop by the Middle TN Reef Club forum sometime.

We monkeys hang around together.......
I ment to get to the last meeting(at the Critter) ......do you have the forum link?.......aquaman has sent it to me.....it got deleated before I could visit......steve

Andrew
03/01/2005, 04:38 PM
Told you im right! nvm. Im going back to the lounge. :P

coralreefing
03/01/2005, 04:44 PM
OCMan, I'll PM you the link.

O'Coralman
03/01/2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Evanish
Told you im right! nvm. Im going back to the lounge. :P

What did we tell you....about leaving by yourself:eek: