PDA

View Full Version : I would like to have a frogspawn

Surfzup2k4
02/28/2005, 01:55 PM
I had a 10g and recently switched to a 20l with a 10g sump/ fuge. I don't add anything and rarely test for anything. Over the time I have had my tank, the 10g, I have just been steady with the water changes and watching the livestock. I have had excellent growth with my zoos, rics, and gsp. I have been using 2 of those 19w 6500k curly ps bulbs from home depot over the 10. They look nice and are cheap at about 5 bucks each. Now that I moved everything to the 20g, I am adding 4 more of those bulbs over the tank. Will this be enough light? I was also thinking about adding a 30" NO t12 actinic bulb over the tank for better coloration. I was also concerned about the coral needing calcium. Am I going to have to start using a kalk top off or something to keep the levels high (if they aren't already)? Thanks

Surfzup2k4
02/28/2005, 01:58 PM
equipment and livestock list:

xenia- growing new arms like a monster
zoos- growing good (imo)
gsp- same as zoos
rics- same as zoos

Tomato clown
Bicolor Blenny

~6 blue and reg leg hermits
2 pepp. shrimp
2-3 mexican turbos
3-4 margarita snails
~10 astrea snails
~15 nassarius snails

no skimmer
no algae :)

~15lbs lr
~20 lbs oldcastle sand

the 10g was up since december(?)

cristhiam
03/01/2005, 11:41 AM
frogspawn adapts to different levels of lights, I think you should be fine, start with maybe a small frag. Check your alk and calcium levels, you might want to start using limewater or kalk

ReeferMac
03/02/2005, 04:33 PM
Ditto what cristhiam said. LPS are more sensitive to organics than the corals you mention having success w/, so a Frogspawn frag may make a good litmus test.

- Mac

zaslax
03/02/2005, 07:57 PM
Can you tell me a good description about the lights because I am looking into some lights and need some help. Yours sound cheap and seem to work so I appreciate and help.

ReeferMac
03/02/2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by zaslax
Yours sound cheap and seem to work so I appreciate and help.

You're not talking to me, are you?
Cheap? Man, I only wish... I run Radium's on an HQI. Every 6-months I run over to my LFS and **** away $170 bucks. It's anything but cheap, trust me. ;)

- Mac

Surfzup2k4
03/03/2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by zaslax
Can you tell me a good description about the lights because I am looking into some lights and need some help. Yours sound cheap and seem to work so I appreciate and help.

Well, I have been using just 2 curly 18 or 19w curly screw ins, but I built my hood today to have 6 over my 20long. I will take some pics when everything is up and running. You can get em at home depot for cheap. 65k bulbs. Looks for the "daylight" bulbs and if you see 65 in the model number, or just 6500k rating on them, those are the ones.

Surfzup2k4
03/03/2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone else :)