PDA

View Full Version : barebottom

djcool563
02/28/2005, 12:04 AM
what are the advantages of a barebottom tank?Why do people go with a bare bottom tank?

scottfarcuz
02/28/2005, 12:42 AM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118724

Conniereef
02/28/2005, 11:50 AM
FWIW, I started reefkeeping with barebottom and things did OK. About 6 years ago I switched to a DSB and don't foresee ever going back to the bare glass. My corals are doing much better (this could also be due to increased circulation and lighting), I never have to do anything to the sand, there have been no algae blooms, and I like the look. My yellow coris wrasse buries itself at night, and the cukes keep the top layer clean. I do avoid any sand sifting creatures.
Because I used Southdown there were some problems with blowing sand, but I topped off with a thin layer of coarser live sand and that works pretty well. Occasionally my maroon clown will stir up the sand, but it settles down quickly and hasn't caused any trouble.
Connie

Burgman
02/28/2005, 12:20 PM
Hi,

I did the same thing that Connie did. Bare tank first and them went to a sand bed. I really love the diversity of life that lives in the sand bed. There are some horror stories about sand beds crashing and killing your whole tank. But I feel if you maintain your sand bed with cukes and sand stiring inverts it might reduce the threat of a crash. The fine particle size of something like Southdown should keep the majority of detritus close to the top where the cukes can get at it.

Dave

gcrowptc
02/28/2005, 09:12 PM
I will never go back to any type of sand bed, my Ca. and Ph. are way more stable and as for diversity of life my rocks are crawling with all kinds of pods and spaghetti worms and I will say no more but to do your own research and decide for yourself, this has been debated way to many times here on RC and other boards to start another discussion about it
Gary

rollinreefer
02/28/2005, 09:30 PM
Thought about going to barebottomn , but scared , you know .... leave well enough alone. I dont have any problems with my dsb , and i also like the diversity and the look.

holeinone1972
03/02/2005, 05:38 AM
Never go sandbed again. Everything was wonderful for a few years, and then the problems started. Big algae problems colors getting browned out on beautiful acros.

Barebottom, algae went away, color came back.

I did not have the time nor energy to maintain a sandbed, and I can really crank up the flow without the sand blowing all over now.

Barebottom believer.

Rob

djcool563
03/02/2005, 08:40 AM
would anyone recomend going barebottom in a 55g reef? are barebottoms really more work?

holeinone1972
03/02/2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by djcool563
would anyone recomend going barebottom in a 55g reef? are barebottoms really more work?

Yes I would.

Barebottoms are less work. No messing with sand, and if you set it up right not much siphoning.

I highly reccomend it.

Rob

Steven Pro
03/02/2005, 09:13 AM
The reason that the methodologies are debated so much is simple, any method can work and any method can be screwed up. It is a simple as that. DSB's work fine when installed properly and seeded. They operate trouble free for years and years as long as general husbandry standards are maintained. BB's can also work. It all comes down to educating yourself as to what you want to keep, what their needs are, and how best to achieve said goals.

djcool563
03/02/2005, 07:05 PM
well i think i am gonna go BB any tips or pointers?

djcool563
03/02/2005, 09:38 PM
also can anyone give me a link to a good thread about bare bottoms everytime i do a serach i jsut keep getting threads that prolly only mention bare bottom once or twice. thanks