PDA

View Full Version : Marineland Tidepool Overflow. Good? Bad?

Inflames
02/23/2005, 11:28 AM
Any opinions on this overflow? Is it junk or does it work well?

Entropy
02/23/2005, 11:51 AM
Fish only or reef?

I think it would work good for a fish only and it has a big enough reserve to handle evaporation and give you room for pump(s) and heater(s).

For a reed I think the big biowheel is going to drive you crazy with high nitrates unless you have something in the return chamber to pull the excess nitrates out.

Inflames
02/23/2005, 11:55 AM
The one i was looking at has no biowheel its just the prefilter and overlfow box + siphon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4358782655&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:ENDSOON

Entropy
02/23/2005, 12:12 PM
My bad, I didn't read your question closely enough. I thought your were talking about the tidepool filtration system itself with overflow.

The overflow itself works fine as long as you don't push it too hard, and it will restart (retain sysphon) if you lose power. I am not to fond of any external overflow, but this is as good as any of the others IMO.

The seller is also a good one IMO. I bought my Red Sea ozone generator from them and it was very cheap, and arrived in perfect condition.

mjw357
02/23/2005, 12:14 PM
I have heard that they are quiet and work well.

andycook
02/23/2005, 01:17 PM
I used one on when I had a 75 gallon reef. It kept up with a mag18 as the return pump. I had no problem with it restarting after a power outage. The only issue I had during the 1 year I used it was the slow accumulation of air bubbles in the siphon that slowly decreased the performance. Once every couple of months I'd suck the bubbles out.

If I had it to do over again I would spend the money on getting the tank drilled instead of buying that overflow or any overflow. But that is not a reflection on the quality of the overflow.