PDA

View Full Version : Herbivorous Fish for 20G Tank

Court_Jester
12/29/2001, 06:18 PM
Anybody have a recommendation for an algae eating fish in a 20 gallon tank? I want something that's almost exclusively herbivorous. I was considering either a bicolor blenny or a red lip blenny (I think that a lawnmower is too big). Can people share their observations on the above or other possible fish?

Thanks

Court_Jester
12/29/2001, 07:43 PM
^

Court_Jester
12/29/2001, 11:38 PM
Any recommendations/observations on this?

mr294
12/30/2001, 02:22 AM
ive got a bicolor blenny in my 40, and although he occasionally scrapes some algae off the glass or LR he prefers to wait for me to bring him prime reef and forumla 2 :D even though he doesnt eat that much algae, i still think hes a great fish and has a lot of personality. i would pick the bicolor over the redlip because IME the redlips can also get rather large and tend to be slightly more aggressive. HTH

sushiman
12/30/2001, 09:45 AM
I have a Lawnmower Blenny in my 40 & i love him! he lives up to his name and has more character in him than you can shake a wiffle bat to. I've also tried Lettuce Nudi.'s and besides being a wee bit on the Kamakazi side around the overflow, has been an alright addition. They only live on hair algae so when the "crop" is gone you might want to trade them in.
Good Luck!
-Sushi.

Court_Jester
12/30/2001, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I've had a lettuce nudi and it was suicidal with the overflow as well. Fortunately, it reproduced before it managed to kill itself for the last time. About a month after it "disappeared" a baby nudi appeared and grew to about an inch. It then made the plunge over the overflow and died (dried out on the sump wall).

Anybody else have experience with herbivorous fish in very small tanks and can make a recommendation?

sushiman
01/03/2002, 02:46 AM
Well I guess Mr.Slug had a deathwish...Lettuce nudi. managed to find a way through a maxijet intake grill and got royally shreaded.
:blown: This stupid slimer had to be rescued three times this month. In EMS we call this "Darwinism in Action".
Oh well, he's crabfood.
My Lawnmower Blenny has been cleaning house with a vengence and is so fat he can hardly drag himself to the nori clip. A fantastic fish so far.
-Sushi.

jksmiley
01/03/2002, 07:34 PM
Your imagery is great sushi man. How about a pic of your fat blenny?

Orm Embar
01/04/2002, 02:11 AM
I'd vote for a lawnmower, or a red spotted blenny. Michael's pocket guide states that they are also herbivorous, and I think that they look cool . . . my next tank will probably have one as the "obligate tank herbivore."