PDA

View Full Version : refuqiums

Briney Dave
02/22/2005, 01:58 PM
I have heard from a few that they are running a refugium to help remove nutrients. I have been running the bio-ball system which cut down the nutrients a great deal but I still run a thin line of too many nutrients. the slightest over feeding and I get a bloom (not big but still...)

some people are highly critical of the bio-ball system and I agree that the system lacks many of the qualities that I think people are attributing to the refugium type systems.

I have the vague idea about the system being a flat bed that water is run over with a light and some sort of desirable photo-guy to absorb and lock up excess nutrients. When grow is excessive the a portion of the algae is removed and discarded.

Could anyone share the specifics of how they work, I was hoping to remove the bio-ball system and allow the overflow box to dump onto the bed then into the sump to be run through the skimmer and UV ligth on the back side

djcool563
02/22/2005, 03:12 PM
well basicly you have a smaller tank. you put some micro algeas or live rock or rubble rock. depending on waht you want.. most people run the lights on the refuge oppisite of the tank to keep the ph stable. most people use cheato in there refuges. then you either have a drilled refuge to send the water back into main tank. i do not think you should use a pump to put the water back into the main tank as it can kill pods.

sabalough
02/23/2005, 12:42 AM
dj sumed it up well :
simply, a small tank added to your system usualy with a sand bed and some micro algie. some people use cheato. others swear by calerpa. some light on reverse daylight others use 24/7 light. limited research has shown that pumping the water out of the fuge does not harm the pods.
the theory is the macro's help consume specific nutrients in your system and provide a preditor free zone for pods and other micro life.
I think dr. rons forum has a lot of info for you.
Steve,

Frick-n-Frags
02/23/2005, 11:41 AM
There are many "nutrients" involved in a reef system.

I believe the nutrient of concern here is nitrate
bioballs are an efficient nitrate producer which fuels pest algae. A refugeum with algae growing consumes the extra nitrates by binding them into removeable plant mass. So that is the difference between an aerobic bacteria colony like on bioballs and a planted refugeum WRT nitrates.

Briney Dave
02/23/2005, 12:19 PM
I should have known the bio balls were bad news, but when you get advice from a shop, it is hard to shake free of it. This shop actually had me increase the amount of balls that I was using which did get rid of some of the algae but hair algae took its place.

Tell me if this sounds ok or if I am way off -- I want to: one get rid of the bio balls
two take one of the two drain lines from the tank and dump that into the refegeum (spelled right?) then have the tank divided with an over flow which would then drain to the sump with the other line
my skimmer pulls out of the sump then all the water is pumped through the UV lamp before being dumped back into the big tank

is there any side effects that I should worry and look for??

thanks as always
Briney