PDA

View Full Version : Any law enforment or lawyers, exp with i-net fraud?

fishfood2581
02/22/2005, 04:03 AM
Any law enforcement personel or lawyers here that have experience with internet fraud. reply here or send me a PM i have a few questions for you. Hopefully you can help me out

fishfood2581
02/22/2005, 03:07 PM
nobody?

Wilafur
02/22/2005, 04:01 PM
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

fishfood2581
02/22/2005, 04:31 PM
yes ive been there they give no information though

Muttling
02/22/2005, 05:07 PM
Since you're asking for a law enforcement officer, I presume you're thinking criminal charges. Unfortunately, internet fraud is the modern day version of mail fraud. It's extremely hard to prosecute and pursue because of jurisdictional reasons.

That is to say you're located in one town in the jurisdiction of your town's police department/DA's office and in the jurisdiction of your State's legal agencies. The perpetrated is often located in a different jurisiction. The alleged crime took place over the internet so it's not well defined which jurisdiction's regulations apply or which courts have authority to rule on the case. If your local agency is willing to pursue it, the first hurdle to overcome will be extradition issues unless the guy is willing to come appear in court voluntarily.

They made mail fraud a Federal offense and started going after it, but internet fraud is a more complex topic and the Federal government hasn't really pursued it as such. Additionally, the internet is not a government run operation like the postal service there's a question of whether or not they even have jurisdiction over it.

AJP
02/22/2005, 05:34 PM
How can I help?