PDA

View Full Version : Hosting

rpsprott
02/21/2005, 04:36 PM
Has anyone heard of a clown changing hosts?

I have two ocellaris clowns who have seemed to become attached to my powerheads, especially a bigger one. Recently, I introduced a ritteri [magnifica] to the tank--a good find, a beautiful, healthy and seemingly happy animal [I placed it on a high rock under the light and it has not moved]. It eats when I feed it, which is about once a week, and it probably gets some of the leftovers, too.

The clowns are drawn to it. They have ignored other organisims in the tank [except the powerheads] like the torch coral and 'umbrella' leather coral. But when the ritteri was introduced they became quite interested. They hang around it all the time now, running back and forth to the larger powerhead, but they have yet to venture into the tentacles.

My question is this? Has anyone heard of clownfish leaving one host and switching to another while both are still in the tank?

I have always had crystal clean and balanced water. Parameters are always perfect. Everybody in the tank is healthy. Other than an outbreack of Atphasia, nothing has ever been a problem. The reason I mention this stuff is that I see no evidence of any tank- related influence which would make the fish act in a other than a normal fashion.

RBTA
02/21/2005, 05:07 PM
My tomato switched hosts, it went back and forth brom a BTA to a powerhead

smilinteddy
02/25/2005, 11:27 PM
I have a pair of tomato clowns who were attempting to host in a frogspawn coral before I got my BTA. As soon as the BTA went in they were all over it rubbing themselves and making friendly with it. Perhaps they couldn't resist their primal instincts ;).

Anyways, I guess my answer is yes, clowns will/do change hosts, but perhaps only in the instance where a better host is introduced?

clownlover9996
02/26/2005, 02:54 PM
my maroons hosted in a spongebob ornament and now theyre hosting in a rock.