PDA

View Full Version : Dr Rons Thoughts on amino Acid suppliments

ronc98
02/21/2005, 01:57 PM
There seems to be alot of info coming about Amino Acid suppliments in regards to coral growth and polyp extension.

Have any thoughts on this?

Salifert I think makes one.

Is there anything to back this up or more smoke and mirrors

Thanks

Ron C

MCsaxmaster
02/22/2005, 01:23 AM
I'm not Dr. Ron, but the one study I can think of off hand demonstrated pretty clearly that corals do take up amino acids, but that they do so very inefficiently and that these can be, at best, only a small portion of their energy budget (I think 13% of the nitrogen budget for Pocillopora damicornis was the highest they got). Also, different amino acids were taken up at very different rates. So, I'd say that yes, they can be used as a nitrogen source, but it's perhaps not a very effective way to feed corals. Sort of like when toddlers eat--maybe only 10% actually makes it on the inside ;)

Best,

Chris

rshimek
02/22/2005, 07:26 AM
Hi,

See Eric Borneman's excellent seven (yes, 7) part series on "feeding the reef," in issues of <b><a href="http://reefkeeping.com" target="_blank">Reefkeeping Magazine</a></b> published in 2002 and 2003. Many reef animals can take up organic materials out of the water; in some cases, particularly if they are otherwise starved, it is an important way for them to get nutrition.

However, an easier way to provide nutrition for them is simply to feed them well. :D

MiddletonMark
02/22/2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by MCsaxmaster
Sort of like when toddlers eat--maybe only 10% actually makes it on the inside ;)

:lmao: Hilarious, and a pretty good analogy taboot.

MCsaxmaster
02/22/2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks Mark :D

ronc98
02/22/2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys for the info.

The 7 part series was a good read. Alot of info that I will need to reread a few times I think.

Thanks again

Ron C