PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Adventure

Zanotti
02/21/2005, 01:44 PM
I just set up a new Oceanic 30 gal cube. Remora Aqua c, 96watt Coralife lighting, visitherm heater, Aquaclear 30 gal circulation pump.

I am up and running, salinity great, no leaks(!), but the Remora is a little loud. The tank is otherwise empty.

I was about to order "the package" from TBS, but notice that LR.com is popular too. I also read good things about the store in vermillion (Salty Dog, Salty Critters?) I am pretty off RMS and Aquarium Adventure.

I bought my tank at Petsmart and it was $129 tank/$149 stand. At AA it was $128 tank/ $289 (yes, $289) stand. I offered them my biz and asked them to match and they declined! (Even though there are signs saying price match in the window!)

I dont understand Aquarium Adventure's value proposition. I was there today and cleaner shrimp are $64.99! Even witht the fish club discount that's about double anywhere else.

Do you have any advice as to where to get the base started. I really read great things about the package, although they are not shipping for a few weeks due to storms. (I dont see any on the weather map, but that's the story)

Looking forward to the frag swap - I going, but dont have much to trade.

Z

djcool563
02/21/2005, 01:51 PM
The salty critter in vermillon is great

gcrowptc
02/21/2005, 01:52 PM
For sure Salty Critter, North Coast Aquatics and Aquatic Technology, the first 2 being your best places to start

djcool563
02/21/2005, 01:54 PM
I dont like Aquatic Tech anymore. Most of the people there do not know what they are doing and they way overcharge. they ask 40 bucks for a VHO bulb. and asking 35 bucks for a clown. but taht is jsut my opinion

Smeagol
02/21/2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Zanotti
I dont understand Aquarium Adventure's value proposition. I was there today and cleaner shrimp are $64.99!

OMG! $64 for a cleaner is like 4 time what I have bought them for.....

That's just nuts!

Andrew
02/21/2005, 02:38 PM
I LOVE AQUARIUM ADVENTURE. They have awsome tanks but they like to over price fish. Love the shark they have. I think its on sawmill road.

djcool563
02/21/2005, 02:39 PM
never been to AA.Is it worth going to?

Andrew
02/21/2005, 02:41 PM
yea. Just to see it. Dont buy anything there. There rock is like $13 lb and their fish are about twice as much as most fish stores. The most overpriced one was a 2'' pruple tang for $265.

djcool563
02/21/2005, 02:42 PM
wow that is way overpriced.

Andrew
02/21/2005, 02:44 PM
They have like 3 foot shark. They also have a large tank with sting rays. My guess would be 2,000 gallons min. They have a LARGE section of tanks. Their tanks arent over priced either.

ArubaRock
02/21/2005, 03:50 PM
I agree with North Coast Aquatics and Salty Critter.

I'm in the middle of an upgrade and I'm getting everything from North Coast Aquatics.

VoidRaven
02/22/2005, 07:10 AM
North Coast Aquatics and Salty Critter all the way :D

I'm putting together a 75g and ordering most of my stuff from North Coast Aquatics...just as soon as my tax refund arrives!

rollinreefer
02/22/2005, 08:12 PM
I saw rock at petland , no kidding for 20 $ a pound, lmao

ArubaRock
02/23/2005, 01:21 AM
Void

I'm in the middle of an upgrade and I currently have a 75, let me know what you need and I might have some things for you. I dont have much but what I do I dont really no if I'm just going to keep or sell it of/trade.

Frick-n-Frags
02/23/2005, 11:32 AM
The Aq Adventure in Cleveland (ridgepark square) is a total joke regarding their pricing. FTAH's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I hope they go down the tubes.

scottfarcuz
02/23/2005, 12:33 PM
HAHA ...Tell us how you really feel Frick :)

Thurge
02/24/2005, 02:58 AM
I personally LOVE AA.
I Love to go look at the pretty fishies. :bounce2:
I love to laugh my bum off at their prices. :clown:
I really LOVE telling potential customers that their prices are 2-3X the price of any place in town. :dance:
I love telling said customers about the condition of the tanks and fish.:hmm4:
Last I especially LOVE to correct the employees when they are trying to shaft a customer. :uzi:
"Uh, I hate to interupt but that panther grouper will NOT grow to the size of your tank, and will enjoy your shrimp as midnight snacks." " Sorry but thats not right, copper should NEVER be used in tanks with LR."

I usually vamuse the area pretty quickly before thay ask me not to come back. :)

djcool563
02/24/2005, 06:41 AM
HAHA thats great thurge

zoocrazy
02/24/2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by djcool563
never been to AA.Is it worth going to?

NO, NO, NO!! THEY DO HAVE SOME NICE FISH FROM TIME TO TIME, BUT THEY ARE FISH YOU CAN GET ANYWHERE ELSE CHEAPER. LOTS CHEAPER.JMO

pws
02/24/2005, 10:16 PM
What about for tanks. I am looking for a corner tank or a cube. I am looking at a 36g corner from petsmart for about $400 with the stand but has no overflow...

I took a ride out to Aquatic Technology but they didn't have any corner tanks I liked beside a 92g cherry wood one with stand and canopy but was $1400. Way more than I wanna spend.

Does this AA have good prices on tanks? I wanna get a new corner or cude tomorrow. Where else local is a good place to get one?

Sharpy
02/25/2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by pws
.....Where else local is a good place to get one?

From my experience, tanks are hard to find discounted much. And since you really can't have one shipped, you gotta buy retail.

I bought mine at a store called Pet Supplies Plus, I know there are several in Ohio. They don't really have much fish stuff...mostly dog food, but it was the cheapest place I found and I know they will special order.

Aquatic Tech is a great store with well cared for livestock. The folks there just aren't to friendly, and the prices are quite steep.

VoidRaven
02/25/2005, 09:15 AM
pws...the PetSmart at Great Northern Mall had a nice Oceanic cube last week when I was there getting dog food. I want to say it was 50g. Don't remember the price off-hand, but I do remember that they had it on sale.

Also, if you haven't been there already, you should definitely check out Neptune's Cellar in Amherst. It's located in the basement of the Ben Franklin's in "downtown" Amherst, but when you go to the back of the store to go downstairs they have a bunch of tanks. I was quite surprised at how many they had to offer when I first went in there. Not sure how prices compare to other places, but it's definitely worth a look.

Oddly enough, some of the better prices I've yet to find on tanks (not reef ready ones) are actually at PetLand...strange but true.

pws
02/25/2005, 10:35 AM
I called the PetSmart at Great Northern and they also have the 30g cude. I like it because it is tall but I wanted a reef ready tank so I could put a sump.

I was looking more into a corner tank. The Ben Frankin guy isn't to nice. I bought a 90g from him before.

Petsmart so far is the best with their 36g corner tank but it isn't reef ready. And the people that work at the Petsmart doesn't even know what kinda glass its made out of.

VoidRaven
02/25/2005, 11:57 AM
Ah, I understand. You would feel much more comfortable already having it drilled versus buying a hang-on overflow for running your sump. What about asking Salty Critter or North Coast Aquatics to see how much they can get one for you for?