PDA

View Full Version : How much would it cost

ydolt
02/20/2005, 08:42 PM
Have a question. I found this place great for info so want to get some idea from you guys. I have 125 gal sw fo with few fish in it, lion, rabbit, LMB and maroon. damsels do not count:D
I have 40 gal refuge and 50 gal bioball sump and seaclone skimmer, plus maxijet powerhead. Lights are s*@#t , only about 100 wt total. here is my question, i want to start keeping corals, zoos, other soft body may be even BTA. How much would upgrades cost, where to get them and how much does maintenance in reef tank cost with all additives and such. I am on tight budgett, planning the wedding and wanted to see if it is even worth it dreaming about at this time. appreciate any input

XxDutchxX
02/20/2005, 08:48 PM
Well considering all the options you have, your going to want to decide on lighting first. If your on a budget you may want to go VHO instead of MH. It will be enough to keep all the above listed corals happy. As far as additives, the only thing I add to my tank is Bionic 2 part calcium/alk and phytoplankton. Lastely, do you have any LR in your tank?

kevensquint
02/20/2005, 08:50 PM
If your on a tight budget,better leave things as is for now until the wedding is out of the way.If you never kept anything but fish,the mistakes will cost you,the change will cost you,and you will need time to learn about whats going on in there and how to fix it.

shelbyville
02/20/2005, 08:56 PM
For that large of a tank I would definetely recomend upgrading your skimmer first of all before your lighting, because the corals need good water to survive more then they need light.

ydolt
02/20/2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone. Where is a good place to get VHO lights. Also, I understand T5 are better then VHO, is that correct?

duec22
02/20/2005, 11:45 PM
Not sure if they are really "better", but you can fit more t-5's under a hood than you can VHO's, and I don't think you have to replace the bulb's as often. But I've never had VHO, so don't quote me on it. I just got my t-5's and am pretty happy with them. I thought from all the pic's of VHO lit tanks that they were a little to pink/purple for me.