PDA

View Full Version : DSB Particle Size

poormedstudent
02/20/2005, 08:59 AM
I am planning on setting up my 29 gallon with a DSB between 4"-5", but I am a little confused about which substrate to use.

CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Reef Sand has a 1.25 - 1.95 mm diameter grain size. This is the one recommended by garf.org

This article: http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
(really good I think) recommends a particle size range averaging about 0.125 mm. The closest I can find to that size is CaribSea Seaflor special Grade Reef Sand with a 0.2 - 1.2mm diameter grain size.

Any thoughts? And, yes, I am sure I do not want to go starboard or barebottom. :)

Thanks in advance!

leebca
02/20/2005, 10:29 AM
With that depth of sandbed I assume you're planning to use the sand bed for some denitrification?

You can mix sizes, separating a low layer with a plastic screen to prevent disturbance by burrowing creatures. Then, you can also mix sizes in the upper layer to help your sand creatures. The size of particles above a low layer should accomodate the sand sifters and sand-life you hope take up residence there to 'work their magic.'

Practically speaking, the CaribSea Seaflor special Grade Reef Sand with a 0.2 - 1.2mm diameter grain size would be too small for many sand creatures. It could be a good mix with the sugar-sized sand or larger.

Have you searched for this topic here on RC? It's been discussed before.
:)