PDA

View Full Version : T6 Lighting for Aquariums

weimluv1
02/20/2005, 03:23 AM
I thought it might be time to start a thread about this new lighting.

Some are claiming it's going to replace the T5 HO lighting. I haven't seen jack....yet. :D

???

any information from a manufacturer or merchandising standpoint?

Currently, the only bulbs for aquarium (marine) use are the 48" 55w actinic .03, and 10k/actinic bulbs.

I think it warrants someone getting some and trying them out and getting some usable, scientific, non-biased readings.

I wonder if they'll fit under the T5 para reflectors? Maybe the Miro 4 reflectors?

I'm sure they'll come up with a T6 reflector, and charge insane prices on a piece of bent specular aluminum (high demand, right?)

Well if anyone has any info, much would be appreciated.

thanks

weimluv1

Yu L LI
02/20/2005, 03:53 AM
What instrument do you have handy or ready when you get your hand on some T-6 Lamps.
T-6 has a 20mm diameter tube. and will fit in most all standerd T-8, T-10 and T-12 fixtures.
Available in srandard, HO and VHO wattages.

Since reflextor changes the performance of the lamps. You should begin compare the lamps to any T-5 with out a flector as a base guideline.

I am sure some one or some company will quickly develope different reflectors for these lamps sooner than you can blinck your eyes.

Please post some of the pictures of your aquarium with T-5s, I will send you some T-6 to try. Let see how you like them. Please note I do not and can not sell these lamps. But I can get you some to try.

Thank you.

x-link
02/20/2005, 10:09 AM
send some over to canada ill try them.i need 6 lamps.im curently using tek lighting fixture,will they fit on a t5 holder.

R33f3r
02/20/2005, 10:16 AM
Free bulbs? Count me in.

x-link
02/20/2005, 10:18 AM
lets not start this im the only freeer here.hahahahahaha.

moonpod
02/20/2005, 10:57 AM
The primary problem I've seen to date with T6 lights is that the only companies I've heard of that are working on this are all from China. If the T5 Chinese bulb is of any relevance as a reference point....quality control is a major issue. Beyond that though the T6 bulb is very interesting. I have seen them and the raw numbers are good. They are only 1/8" bigger than a T5 so effecient individual reflectors that are of a reasonable size should be possible. As a stop gap you could probably use T5 reflectors (IF the clips will make it that extra 1/8"). What's nice is that they fit in "standard fixtures" so people with old VHO setups would be able to "pop" one in and provided they have the spacing for the reflectors....

Again, I hold the manufacturer quality control issue up front though.

The technology holds promise. The quality control needs to be there. Consistent bulbs, good lifespans, good manufacturing quality control.

x-link
02/20/2005, 11:59 AM
i wonder if the end pins are the same as the t5,same size,dimensions ect.

weimluv1
02/20/2005, 12:59 PM
No they will not, x-link.

T5 bulbs are bipin G5

T6 bulbs are standard bipin, G13.

They will fit into T8 or T12 endcaps, though.

YU L Li, i dont have a T5 setup, I'm thinking i should hold out until T6s become more popular, with more options for bulb length.

Since there quite a few options for ballasts for use on T6s, I'm just wondering which ones are best suited for them. Would T5HO ballasts overdrive them (perhaps a good thing, provided bulb life isn't shortened too much)? What about the Icecap 660?

Since this topic is so new, i doubt anyone has tried them yet.

R33f3r
02/20/2005, 01:17 PM
weim, have you checked this out?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=530552

He talks about them more in here.

I am with moonpod on this. I feel skeptical about most lighting applications coming out of china (I have seen this firsthand), their quality is just not up to par, IMO. I don't doubt they are good however.

Yu L LI
02/20/2005, 03:08 PM
I gave some info about the T-6 VHO I have tested over 8 months.
Please see the link R33f3r posted

Chuck, you may come by the see these 8 months lamps still working with 85% of their original output. We can use the spectrum meter to see how well they held up. I don't know how to post pictures on this forums?? I can can show some report from the professional certify spectrum meter of these lamps.

Just for some to know, There are many name brands of T-5 in Europe are made in China.

The manufacture of these T-6 lamp do make some T-5 for GE yes, I said General Electric for Europe and the USA.

I can give some away to test. Just e-mail me. I can not do it for every body sorry.

Those who will end with the T-6 lamps will be the able to comment.

Thank you guys.

By the way, most of the ballast you guys are using will work WELL.
I use Icp Cap 660.

weimluv1
02/20/2005, 03:13 PM
Yu L Li....does the icecap 660 overdrive the bulbs at all?

The Grim Reefer
02/20/2005, 03:14 PM
I think the computer designed reflectors Aqualux sells would work well with the T6 until the specific reflectors come out. These things are pretty big and don't have the faceted panels like Ice Cap and SLS so I don't think the larger lamp diameter will throw off the geometry. In 18" of water they equal Ice Cap's PAR running T5's. You would either need to spread out the clips or find bigger ones.

Yu L LI
02/20/2005, 03:24 PM
weimluv1,

Yes, the Ice cap 660 may and could over drive the lamps. There is a way to test how much watts are being driven in to your lamps.

A over driven lamps may take in the Amps/watts, but will not perform the right amount of light output, So your PF will be way off. Much of energy are lost. But it is fun if over drive is your thing.

By the way, does any one have a actual report on a spectrums and par lost over time 6 month, 12 month 18 months on T-5 that are use in the reef aquariums. If do, please post. If possible the power factor lost also.

Thank you.

Yu L LI
02/20/2005, 04:22 PM
Just for your informations.

In Japan, all of the big department stores use T-6 lamps especialy in all of thier casmetic sections.
For many years they use T-5 but not any more.

Why?

R33f3r
02/20/2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Yu L LI
Just for your informations.

In Japan, all of the big department stores use T-6 lamps especialy in all of thier casmetic sections.
For many years they use T-5 but not any more.

Why?

Cost most likely. Whichever is cheapest.

Yu L LI
02/20/2005, 05:38 PM
Cheapest for the electricity and more lumens at the same time.
You are right.

You know, it cost more to build T-6 over T-5s.

Cost more in glass, more in exotic gas, more in filaments and electro coating more in rare earth phosphors just cost more over all to build.

Snarkys
02/20/2005, 07:21 PM
yu l li , can you tell us your link to these bulbs? like why you can get them and give them out for free ? or when you will start selling them ?

Yu L LI
02/20/2005, 11:45 PM
Sorry, I do not have link for the site. I did ask the factory to site up a site for the T-6 with full information about the lamps.

I did help develop some of the T-6 and the new VHO PL compact lamps. I do not sell T-6.

I am involve in continue development of other lamps that is why I can get lamps.

I belive it is good to give some people to try these T-6 under different conditions so they can comment on these lamps. I am sure some will like them and some may not. What ever turn them on.

I will post some performance info on these lamps once I learn how to post the attachments.

I am sending some lamps out next weeks and some will be in med March that is when I get more lamps.

I am sure those who gets the lamps will post their comments. I am sure you will fine their opinion are none bias.

Until than.

Snarkys
02/21/2005, 12:32 AM
thanks

R33f3r
02/22/2005, 08:05 PM
Here is some more info on T6

http://www.naturallighting.com/pdf_files/aquarium_lighting_t5bulbs.pdf

Yu L LI
02/22/2005, 08:23 PM
The link you shown is not a T-6.
T-6 has a 20mm diameter tube and it does not need a plastic adoptor to fit in the standard light socket.
These lamps are a T-5 modify with a adoptor to fit in to standard light socket. They have similar performance like the t-5 but does not work as good as the t-5s. And will requier electronic ballast to work. They do not or don't work well with magnetic ballast.
I have these lamps too and they are Cheap. You can fine these lamps from most Chiese importer for 1/2 the price (or less) of a good T-5s.
The T-6 we have been talking about have no relation to the lamps in the link you shown.

Sorry to disapoint you.

ecardwell
03/11/2005, 03:42 PM
http://www.naturallighting.com/show_product.cfm?&product_id=390

T-6 lighting

Avi
03/11/2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah, but.....5500K. They gotta do better than that, don't they??

The Grim Reefer
03/11/2005, 04:39 PM
There are 10K 50/50's and actinics too. I'd wait for the VHO'sto come out. If the actinics I have are any indication they should kick.

mlutze
03/11/2005, 06:09 PM
Yu L LI,

You mention that the lamps at naturallighting are not the good quality type. Where can I get the good quality ones?

The Grim Reefer
03/11/2005, 08:12 PM
Yu Lhad said Quantum Aquatics will be distributing the T6's but I don't know who will be selling them or when they will hit the market, supposed to be some time this month.

rickburdeniuk
04/29/2005, 08:40 AM
Big Al's is now selling Quantum Aquatics T6's from 12" to 48", but they seem to be NO (40W @ 48").

Here's the link to the US site's listing of the 48" versions:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/search/?type=catalog&method=all&collection=sitebuilder%2Fcatalog3-1&keywords1=t6+48&x=0&y=0

BTW the "Pro Actinic 03" seems to be the "pure" actinic one. No idea how they should be driven. I'll give my local outlet a call today to see if they have any comments.

swashbuckler
04/29/2005, 09:02 AM
mmm.. i wonder what the difference is b/t the "pure 03" and the "blue 03"

rickburdeniuk
04/29/2005, 09:40 AM
Good catch - my mistake, difference is in bold, I'll just post the details for all the lamps.

1- The Color Intensifier Lamp is packed with red and blue spectrum color enhancing phosphors. It will maximize and intensify the natural colors of all aquarium fish while also providing proper lighting for aquatic plant growth.

2- The 7K Daylight Lamp produces a rarified white light that replicates the natural rays of the mid-day sun. The 7000 Kelvin Lamp solar like rays support photosynthetic and biological functions of all marine and reef life as well as freshwater fish and plants.

3- The 11,000K Ultra Daylight Lamp produces a brilliant blue-white light that replicates the natural rays of the mid day sun. Creates a crisp pure hue. Strong penetrating rays will support the photosynthetic and biological functions and health of all marine and reef life as well as freshwater fish and plants.

4- The Blue Actinic 03 lamp utilizes premium actinic phosphers to produce an extremely strong singular extended light emission peaking at 420 nanometers. Blue light is critical to the photosynthesis and overall health of marine invertebrates and corals.

5- The Pro Actinic lamp utilizes premium actinic phosphers to produce an extremely strong singular extended light emission peaking at 420 nanometers. Contains enhanced red and green spectrums to support marine plants, soft corals and microalgae. Blue light is critical to the photosynthesis and overall health of marine invertebrates and corals.

6- The Ultimate Reef Lamp produces 5 distinct peak emissions in the purple, blue, green, orange and red spectrums. Combined these colors create the perfect blended light source for reef aquariums. Provides the optimal photo environment for the health, growth and propagation of corals, anemones and invertebtates.

7- *I think they mess up the descripton on this one* - It's called the Quantum Leap Dual Day/Actinic but the description says:
The Pro Actinic lamp utilizes premium actinic phosphers to produce an extremely strong singular extended light emission peaking at 420 nanometers. Contains enhanced red and green spectrums to support marine plants, soft corals and microalgae. Blue light is critical to the photosynthesis and overall health of marine invertebrates and corals.

swashbuckler
04/29/2005, 10:15 AM
thanks! so i guess the pure actinic will look more like a URI if anything and the "blue 03" maybe like a blue+?

The Grim Reefer
04/29/2005, 12:05 PM
The Swash has it right, Actinic and Blueplus. The ultimate Reef lamp is the one that interests me. They added UVA, UVB and infared to the output to make the spectrum more like what a metal halide produces. From what I understand the 50/50 lamp is half actinic and half daylight literally, the lamp appears to be half white and half blue.

The VHO is still in the works.

horkn
04/29/2005, 01:35 PM
will workhorse ballasts fire the t6 ?

Horace
04/29/2005, 01:54 PM
All this discussion right before I am to buy my VHO's :P I was planning on getting regular VHO bulbs. From what I am reading does this mean a t6 bulb will fit dicectly into a VHO socket? One of these ===> http://store1.yimg.com/I/lamps-now_1841_8118382

The Grim Reefer
04/29/2005, 03:26 PM
They will fit but you need an adaptor to really do it right. The adaptors are a ring that slips on to the ends of the lamp that is the same diameter as a T12 lamp so you still have a water resistant and snug fit. In a non waterproof endcap it doesn't matter.

The workhore will fire the lamps fine.

Where you been Horkn?

reefdom
05/11/2005, 05:26 AM
I guess there never going to make another 72" bulb? I guess I'll have to change out my current config to change to T6's..

The Grim Reefer
05/11/2005, 09:27 AM
There are 72" T5 lamps but they come in a frame with endcaps. Really hard to ship because of the length and thin glass in the tube. I have a couple 72" T6 lamps but I don't know if they will be marketed for the same reason, too hard to ship and have arrive in one piece.

udaman
06/08/2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
There are 72" T5 lamps but they come in a frame with endcaps. Really hard to ship because of the length and thin glass in the tube. I have a couple 72" T6 lamps but I don't know if they will be marketed for the same reason, too hard to ship and have arrive in one piece.

Hmm, after all the initial excitement; these T6 threads seemed to have died from lack of any new information. Is there any thread where Grim Reefer posted which of the T6's received from Yu L LI? Sizes, 'designed' wattage ratings, etc?

And from the other hijacked thread linked to, what about those special reflectors that Yu L LI said where the best yet that where supposed to be coming in 3 months ago?

I sent 2 PM's to Yu L LI, last month (e-mail is disabled in the profile), but no reply as yet.

Comments anyone? Anyone read anything more from Yu L LI about these new HO, & VHO T6's? I have some questions, but Yu L LI has not posted to either of these thread in more recent months? :confused:

The Grim Reefer
06/08/2005, 11:12 PM
My PAR meter has been messed up and I've been tied up with other things so I haven't done much with the VHO T6's. I haven't heard anything new about reflectors yet. I have a couple of 6 foot T6's I want to put into service but haven't had time to work on a mount. Once they go on I will post some pics.

lrsafari
06/08/2005, 11:14 PM
Yu L Li sent me 4 of the bulbs about a month or so ago. Unfortunately I have had some illness in the family, so a lot of things have been put off, including getting the hood setup with the T6's.

He sent me 4 of the VHO's. 2 are 11K's and the other 2 are a mixed bulb, if I rememeber right, something like an actinic +.

Hopefully things will settle down in the next week or 2 and I can get them fired up.

Scott

rickburdeniuk
06/08/2005, 11:20 PM
Quantum Aquatics did start distributing T6's just like Yu L Li said, just not the VHO ones most of us were hoping for.

I think there will be a place for a few T6's in my new tank even if they are NO. Mmay be a good fit to help get the coraline going; I can imagine they'd make a great dusk/dawn or a general supplement if/when another light source is necessary.

Shame I can't find anything longer then 48" though, have my heart set on a 60" tank now.

swashbuckler
06/08/2005, 11:35 PM
NO t-6's arent all that great- the colors of the t-8's and t-12's are far superior; their blue 03 bulb looks like a standard NO actinic but has less punch than a t-8, the pro 03 is a hideous pink. nuff said.

The Grim Reefer
06/08/2005, 11:56 PM
Pink actinic? The VHO's I got are blue. They have a pink plant grow lamp.

swashbuckler
06/09/2005, 09:29 AM
you prob got the "blue 03" model- the "pro 03" is very pink. at least what ive seen in person, this is NO mind you, looks very similiar to the plant grow lamp, but not as bright.

The Grim Reefer
06/09/2005, 02:24 PM
The pro 03 might be more pink because they add someUV to the output, supposed to be good for the critters.

The Grim Reefer
06/09/2005, 03:32 PM
Oooppps!

Make that Infrared light. I have a graph for the pro and there is a wide but low band of output in the upper range of the red spectrum.

udaman
06/09/2005, 07:50 PM
I was just trying to get an idea of which specific lenghts and HO or VHO's were in sent out for testing.

24in. ,30in.,36in, 48in HO & VHO interest me--- heat production and highest output for given size and power consumption. I have several ideas for uses-single & double row reflectors---not sure how the light distribution will look under each, whether or not I want to go with a single tube, two them of course allows you to use different spectrums to blend light. One thing I find confusing is the statement that a T6 would 'out perform' at T5 of same lenght and same wattage. T5's are some of the most efficient fluros as far as lumens/watt. I doubt a T6 is over 100lm/w which lower wattage T5 hit. I'd like to see some test data that would support the "out perform T-5 by a mile" contention. Or maybe we are just not understanding English meaning of Yu L Li?

What happened to those pictures of his; I live near to Yu L Li apparently, would be nice to see all of these tubes side by side? Now I want to figure out which ballasts to drive these with, taking into consideration of number of things. But I'm still waiting on Yu L Li to answer, as he's the one with the experience on these.

Yes he posted a phone number for QA, but they don't have a website, and Big Al's only sells NO's. Color of NO's maybe be quite different than HO & VHO, especially if the tubes are of different construction/design/ and or from a different manufacturer. I suppose I could call QA, but they only distribute these, and you may not get completely accurate information from them.

NO's I'm not so interested in at present. But he said he could get any color, lenght, in HO & VHO.

From the other thread I should have linked back to:
T5 lights, how long to they last and what's the equivalent watts produced ? (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=530552&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)
Originally posted by Yu L LI
Out of all my test with spectrum meter, Lux meter, par meter.
So far I find T-6 HO and VHO in the same length and watts, it out perform T-5 by a mile.
For example:VHO
T-6 24" 75 watts 1,700 on contact.
T-6 30" 95 watts
T-6 36" 110 watts
T-6 48" 145 watts
HO T-6
24" 40 watts
30" 60 watts
36" 75 watts
48" 90 watts
The only one may out perform T-6 in the same length will be the VHO PL compact because you can pack 185 watts in 45".

Sorry,

Most of the VHO T-6 gets 1,700 par on contact.

Quantum Aquatic has these bulbs.

Maybe someone with Yu L Li's e-mail can ask for a response here, since I'm getting to reply to my PM.

I'm getting confused, GR has both NO, HO, &VHO to test? And they are all roughly of same color from same lenght NO, to HO, to VHO; or are there noticeable differences?

"11K's and the other 2 are a mixed bulb, if I rememeber right, something like an actinic +." So are these the same designations for the NO's??? And even if they are the same designation, do the look the same color spectrums as the NO's ...roughtly???

swashbuckler
06/09/2005, 10:42 PM
Oooppps!

Make that Infrared light. I have a graph for the pro and there is a wide but low band of output in the upper range of the red spectrum.

yep- spread out from 410 to 440nm or something like that- i dont even know why they came out with this bulb-

the blue 03 is so much better in every way- if the color remains the same with the HO and VHO variants- it could compete with a URI possibly- may i emphasize "possibly"

The Grim Reefer
06/09/2005, 11:17 PM
The lamp is supposed to be good for fish and corals. Something todo with calcium in bones and coral skelatons. The VHO blues look tasty. I have a 105 watt T5 actinic that looks pretty nice too. Same Co. made both lamps so hopefully goof things are coming for the small diameter lamps.

udaman
06/10/2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by swashbuckler
yep- (pro 03?) spread out from 410 to 440nm or something like that- i dont even know why they came out with this bulb-

the blue 03 is so much better in every way- if the color remains the same with the HO and VHO variants- it could compete with a URI possibly- may i emphasize "possibly"

blue 03 is better in every way? How so, other than not being too pink for your preferences?

The lamp (pro 03?) is supposed to be good for fish and corals. Something todo with calcium in bones and coral skelatons. The VHO blues look tasty. I have a 105 watt T5 actinic that looks pretty nice too. Same Co. made both lamps so hopefully goof things are coming for the small diameter lamps.

:confused: "VHO blues look tasty" - T12, no not that; or supposedly to be available through Quantum Aquatics, a T6 VHO, correct? And the same company that made that Quantum Aquatics VHO T6, has also made the 105w T5 actinic, was that a typo meant to read T6? That's a VHO 105w T5 then, of what length- 36in or 48in???

Ah well, if someone contacted Yu L Li for me, Thank you. I just got some PM's from him. Will update if I find anything interesting.

The Grim Reefer
06/11/2005, 07:10 AM
The tasty blue VHO I am refering to is a T6. The 105 watt lamp is a 72" T5.

The 72" VHO T6 lamps are 165 watts.

Roland Jacques
12/30/2006, 01:05 PM
all this good t-6 info but i cant find any "VHO" t-6 bulbs anywhere

pjf
12/30/2006, 03:44 PM
I’m not sure if dimmable T6’s are marketed as VHO. In any case, you can take a 55-watt T6 HO and drive it to different output levels with a 55-watt dimming ballast and a 55-watt dimming controller. All three components can be found on www.naturallighting.com. Just search for "dimming."

I’ve just purchased two 55-watt T6 HO lamps from Natural Lighting but I’ll just be using regular on-off T5HO ballasts to drive them.

Roland Jacques
12/30/2006, 04:10 PM
iv'e been reading of VHO t-6 bulbs 110 watts and higher. so i dont think they were talking about dimming ballast on a 55 watt bulb. i have looked at that site a bit no luck with refector or VHO t-6.

i thought they were maybe just over driving Xs2 a 55 watt lamp with a regular HO ballast. (wiring 2 outputs into 1 bulb) but that does not seem to be the case ether. ill keep looking. i now have 9 tanks to put lighting on with limmited space for bulbs.

pjf
12/30/2006, 10:40 PM
You are correct. The Grim Reefer uses 110watt VHO T6's. He admits that he has an inside track to VHO T6's and that they are hard to find otherwise.

Roland Jacques
12/31/2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, you can have your LFS order the VHO T-6 from All Seas Marine. But cant find what colors are alvailable, brand name, and no feed back on them.

The Grim Reefer
12/31/2006, 07:01 PM
I had an e-mail telling what lamps they had but I must have deleted it.

I know they have the Super Blue which is about the same as a Blue plus, a 10K daylight, I have those. The others going by memory were 6500K, 8800K, 10K w/UVA or B, a 50/50 12000K.

If you ar lighting a lot of tanks and starting out from scratch T5's are the best bet. I think I still hav a couple of 55 watt T6's left, I'll have to see how well they overdrive.

tquick
01/13/2007, 08:47 PM
ok i have 265 watts of pc lighting and cant stand it. Wanted to go to t5 and decieded to use the pc along with a set of t5 bulbs to get me at about 373 watts of pc on a 55 gallon long tank. Then i figured cost of ballast, bulbs, and making my own fixture or buying a complete setup. Then i came across t6 fixture from catfish for half the price and no work :) so i just ordered them. heres the link catfish website (http://www.catfishlighting.com/body_t5lights.htm) guess how much ? $76.95 shipped to my door. i went with the 12k lights and one atnic to supplement my pc lights that i hate. figured that both together i might be able to grow something worth while instead of aquatic weeds :). dont get me wrong i can grow fish, some polyps, coraline algae, and some plants that came on my live rock. anything other than that dies. so hopefully this helps out if not they all go to the thrash can and time to save for a mh setup. Figure about a week and i will post an update along with some pics. What the heck is the pink light for?

Roland Jacques
01/14/2007, 10:16 AM
tquick
The price is low enough thats for sure. but the reflector is not a good one.

t-6 are limited as to selction of lamps. that catfish does not seem to even sell the lmps seperate yet. some people use 3000k lamp to complment the reds... colors in the tank and has some good PAR also. not sure if that pink is the same or not. i think the pink one is mainly for growth PAR.

Snarkys
01/14/2007, 10:48 AM
pretty cool to see how people are always pushing the envelope on this stuff. Even when other items on the market might be cheaper, easier to find and implement like T5's

can't stop progress : )

pjf
01/14/2007, 10:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8978121#post8978121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snarkys
pretty cool to see how people are always pushing the envelope on this stuff. Even when other items on the market might be cheaper, easier to find and implement like T5's

can't stop progress : )
Commercially, there is a large market for T8 and T12 lighting. T6 lamps can easily replace this market because it is "plug compatible." Other than being first to market, is there anything that makes one design superior to the other?

BeanAnimal
01/14/2007, 11:01 AM
No, the T6 simply is an alternative to the T8 and T12 fixture owners that has many of the same benefits as the T5.

So it is not progress per say, but a way to leverage a technology to those who would otherwise walk away (becuase they do not want to purchase new fixtures).

Remember most lighting advances and technology are based upon manufacturing, warehouse and LARGE facilities needs where every penny counts. Nobody really cares about hobby lighting, residential lighting or lighting for small business. Those markets are along for the ride with the big commercial markets.

Bean

tquick
01/14/2007, 12:35 PM
I look at it this way the frame of the catfish light is what i was really after lol. but im willing to give it a shot to see what it can do. if all else fails i will change the ballast, change the ends and walla a nice looking t5 fixture with hight end stuff in it not the cheap pre mades. ohhh forgot also some reflectors :)

The Grim Reefer
01/14/2007, 12:58 PM
There are parabolic reflector available for the T6's, I have some. Still hard to find though.

By the way, the catfish lights are HO. Wait till you see the VHO's.

tquick
01/14/2007, 05:45 PM
are the vho version out as of yet?

The Grim Reefer
01/14/2007, 05:49 PM
Yes, I am using them on the 105. They are still hard to come by but ASM is markting them.

pjf
01/14/2007, 06:01 PM
Any performance information on T6 VHO, specifically lumens per watt?

My observation is that the more power we put into a tube, the less efficient it becomes.

For example, T5 lamps produce ~100 lumens per watt, whereas T5HO lamps produce ~90 lumens per watt (http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/lat5/pc1a.asp).

T12 VHO suffers the same inefficiencies by producing ~50 lumens per watt when T12 HO produces ~60 lumens per watt (http://www.elliptipar.com/vertical/Vertpdf/VertGdLg.pdf).

tquick
01/14/2007, 06:14 PM
ok top use the vho t6 i will need new ballast for sure? and some reflectors? How did you get yours? Are they available still? Thanks Tommy

tquick
01/14/2007, 06:16 PM
also one more question? lol actually 2 whats growing in your tank? Good growth? And are you using only t6 vho bulbs? How many bulbs? What spectrum? ok i lied 4 questions :)

The Grim Reefer
01/14/2007, 06:20 PM
Tommy,

I know someone involved in the development of the lamps. I believe natural lighting.com has ballasts for the HO lamps. For VHO's a standard VHO ballast will work fine.

PJF

I assume just like the rest the efficiency takes a hit as you increase the output. Only time I'v seen that not hold true is overdriving T5's on an Ice Cap ballast. You get about 35% more output for 30% more power usage.

Roland Jacques
01/14/2007, 06:26 PM
pjf
ive been trying to find some good info on these new VHO T-6.

the manufacture says they rock twice the PAR and the same watts to lumens as HO.

I think Custom aquatics may start selling them. it will probable be March before all sizes are all back in stock. really hard to find info. id like to no about the VHO t-6 durability.

LFS may have them

BeanAnimal
01/14/2007, 06:27 PM
Yup and T12 NO put at out around ~80 lumens per watt.

The advantage in any HO or VHO setup is the lumens per foot, or lumens per area. You simply can not get enough NO bulbs over a tank.

The Grim Reefer
01/14/2007, 06:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8981229#post8981229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques
pjf
ive been trying to find some good info on these new VHO T-6.

the manufacture says they rock twice the PAR and the same watts to lumens as HO.

I think Custom aquatics may start selling them. it will probable be March before all sizes are all back in stock. really hard to find info. id like to no about the VHO t-6 durability.

LFS may have them

My source says after 9 months the T6 VHO still had better than 90% of the original output.

Roland Jacques
01/14/2007, 09:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8981348#post8981348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
My source says after 9 months the T6 VHO still had better than 90% of the original output.
Sounds great. besides availablity i have not heard any downsides yet on the VHO T-6.:)

The Grim Reefer
01/14/2007, 10:50 PM
Other than the power usage there seems to be more upside. Supposdly heat doesn't effect them as much and they are much easier to ship which should keep the price down