PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae

mmd
02/19/2005, 11:13 AM
if i pop them do they really eat spores.
does anything eat them that is reef friendly.
how do i get rid of them

mmd
02/19/2005, 11:14 AM
i meant spread spores

Icedawg4563
02/19/2005, 11:24 AM
mithrax or more commonly known as emerald crabs eat this algae. I dont know on the spores though

Stevan
02/19/2005, 11:54 AM
only SOME Emeralds do...it's hit or miss.

graveyardworm
02/19/2005, 12:22 PM
Do you have alot of them or just a few here and there?

Better to have bubble algae than crabs IMO. I've tried the crabs, had 12 in my 90 at one point and still had tons of bubble algae as well as an unhappy anemone ( food getting stolen, and picked at tentacles).

I've also tried a rabbitfish- foxface lo- really likes bubble algae and lots of other algae but just couldnt keep up with the bubble algae. Also some people have found these guys to be troublesome, mine seems very well behaved other than it did snack on a kenya tree frag I had.

Best way I've found to remove this stuff is to use a siphon while you pull them off, something large enough to suck up the carcass. Carefully pull them of with tweezers while using the siphon to suck them out and if they pop (which they will) the siphon will pull out the spores. Make sure to leave nothing behind and Good Luck.

dc
02/19/2005, 12:29 PM
I'd have to say yes, it will help them spread. I had a few in my anemone tank. I pulled them out and popped a few, now I have a whole tank full.