PDA

View Full Version : Is this hitchhiker a Zoanthid????

jasonlmartin
02/18/2005, 10:18 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84652unknown.JPG

If not, any thoughts????

Thanks in advance;

Jason

dmits41
02/18/2005, 10:23 PM
looks like aiptasia to me. If it is, kill it before it can spread.

matty612
02/18/2005, 10:51 PM
i thought i had aptasia, ao i have been doing alot of research.........definitly aptasia!! get rid of it

rozli
02/18/2005, 11:18 PM
Yep! It is aptasia, it will spread like a wild fire!!!!
I have that problem, hitchhike from on of the frag given by fellow reefer and got more than 15 in my display tank and not included my sump!!!!!!!
Any suggestion how to get terminate this pest?

fitti69
02/18/2005, 11:27 PM
I have found that 10ml of RO and 3 tsp. of kalk miked into a paste works first time . I use an old 1ml syringe from a test kit and sneak up on it . Just coat the sucker the kalk will stay put . I actually go back and siphon the the paste off the rock when I do a water change . I use the same thing on those green rock flower anemonies that sting all my SPS .

rozli
02/20/2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks fitti69,
I will try that immediately. Fellow reefer in Singapore suggest to use 'Joe's Juices' which need to order in US and looking at the situation, I cant wait any longer.
However, those the kalk solution effect the other coral? Like I got one colony of button and the aptasia sitting comfortable in the middle of the healthy button and one right in the middle of my birdnest.
Thanks bro if you can reply, greatly appreciates.

fitti69
02/20/2005, 09:01 PM
the paste is thick enough where you should be able to control where it goes . So long you dont get it on the buttons , I think you should be fine .

rozli
02/20/2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks a millions!
I try it tonight.

BOKER420
02/22/2005, 11:22 AM
I don't think that is aptasia. they usually have much longer tenticles. Thats either some type of zoo or maybe some other type of baby anenome. if it was in my tank i would just keep an eye on it and see what it turns out to be forsure.

it would be easier to tell if there was a closer pic

Nagel
02/22/2005, 01:53 PM
My vote is for an aiptasia. Certainly not any type of zoanthid..

As for another type of anemone, is remotely possible, but it really looks like an aiptasia to me..

I wouldnt risk it..

willember
02/22/2005, 02:39 PM
doesn't look like aptasia to me. Does it have a long stalk below where the tenticles come together?

Nagel
02/22/2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by willember
doesn't look like aptasia to me. Does it have a long stalk below where the tenticles come together?

Not a defining characteristic.. Aiptasia come in many different forms. Shorter "stalks" generall came from a higher light area, and when they are in really low light they tend to stretch quite a bit..

If you really want to know what I think, it looks like an aiptasia that survived a kalkwasser dose.. When I hit big ones and they dont die right away, the hug close to the rock and the kalk burned most of the length of their tentacles away..

just my .o2

ab5ebdxer
02/22/2005, 08:41 PM
This looks like a small anemone that I have in my tank. They do spread quickly and have been a pain. I am getting ready to declare war against them.