PDA

View Full Version : How Long Before Adding Tang?

amcarrig
12/27/2001, 02:23 PM
How "mature" does a reef tank need to be in order to add a tang, particularly, a purple one? Also, besides the purple and yellow, what other kinds of tangs would do well in a 90 gallon reef tank? I'm assuming a sailfin would be too big for my tank but would like other suggestions in case I don't get the purple one. Thanks in advance!!

seasquirt
12/27/2001, 03:14 PM
I have a small hippo tang (AKA regal tang, palette tang, Pacific blue tang) and I just love him. He was added when my tank was relatively new (not much algae growth) but he started accepting flake food, brine shrimp, spirulina flakes, and Formula Two right away. He is great with my other fish, so nice that the two false percs let him sleep in their cave with them. He does enjoy occasionally darting into the school of green chromis and making them scatter, but he's never been nippy or rude. He even eats from my fingers. He even survived a bout with ich, which I treated with garlic.

TBKingfish
12/27/2001, 03:19 PM
You could put a tang i your tank as soon as it is mature...meaning when the levels get into normal range and can stay constant...its also up to you to decide

i got my yellow tank 6 moths after first pouring the salt mix into my bare 120 gallon...probably coulda done it earlier

tomatoeclown
12/27/2001, 04:58 PM
best be would be after 6 months, make sure there is enough macro algea for him/her to pick on, cya and gl.

anemoneboy
12/27/2001, 05:16 PM
i would add it last in the series of fish you plan on putting in or adding at the same time with others.