PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae... I can't get rid of it

jcardoza79
02/17/2005, 04:21 PM
I've cleaned my tank so many times trying to get rid of this stuff, I get it off of the glass but can't seem to get it to stop growing on my sand. I was digging it out last night with my fish net, but theres too much... This morning the pieces that broke up from last night has already reestablished themselves. What do I need to do. I have an Dual Satelite Lamp, running an emperor 400 w/o the biowheels, ~35lbs of live rock, an Aqua C protien Skimmer, 4 fish, 4 crabs, 4 snails, and a star polyp cluster. I was told to put some type of phosphate guard in there so i did that last night. I really don't know what else to do. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Nuhtty
02/17/2005, 04:25 PM
Where are you getting your water for water changes?

Stevan
02/17/2005, 04:26 PM
Feed less, Water changes...Skim wet (if you can w/your Remora, I can't w/mine)

jcardoza79
02/17/2005, 04:28 PM
Tap water :( I know im not supposed to be using that at all.... however, this tank is only about 8 weeks old and when i started it, i was under someone who had supposedly been setting up tanks for 2.5 years. She suggested i use regular water. But I ordered an RO unit yesterday. Do you think this is the problem?

Stevan
02/17/2005, 05:11 PM
Could be...Can you run some media? Like PhosBan? It might help.

ANNIESREEF
02/17/2005, 05:26 PM
I had a small problem with hair algae also. Everyday I would take a toothbrush and brush it off, rinse, and scrub as much as I could off-always rinsing in clean distilled water before submersing brush back into tank. After about 3 weeks I have none visible anyway. Distilled water is best if you don't have RO. I even buy Ro water from Walmart-very cheap considering the cost of this hobby itself.

GOOD LUCK

Nuhtty
02/17/2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by jcardoza79
Tap water :( I know im not supposed to be using that at all.... however, this tank is only about 8 weeks old and when i started it, i was under someone who had supposedly been setting up tanks for 2.5 years. She suggested i use regular water. But I ordered an RO unit yesterday. Do you think this is the problem?

Yes.

she was wrong.

daFrimpster
02/17/2005, 05:44 PM
The tap water would be the first possible source to eliminate. IF you still have a problem then water changes, skimming etc. I am just getting past a nasty hair algae problem in my nano. Ultimately impeccable husbandry got me through the problem. I thought my maintenance practices were good but I had to make them better.

Ti
02/17/2005, 05:53 PM
the toothbrush doesn't work for all hair algae types.
Employ a cleaning crew.

Stevan
02/17/2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Ti
the toothbrush doesn't work for all hair algae types.
Employ a cleaning crew.

Nor do all cleaning crews. My crew leaves my hair algae looking like hair transplant plugs!:D

flored
02/17/2005, 07:21 PM
Sounds like after everything you have done to try and erradicate
the HA you are running around in a circle. Test your tap water odds are you are feeding the problem with it. Just my 0.02 cents

Ti
02/17/2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Stevan
Nor do all cleaning crews. My crew leaves my hair algae looking like hair transplant plugs!:D
Very true.
I had a crew that never touched my hair algae.
My solution.
Turn the rock around. ;)

Nuhtty
02/17/2005, 08:59 PM
Solving the issue(s) that caused the hair algae is a wiser path than simply taking measures to remove it physically or hide it.

TCC
02/17/2005, 09:30 PM
I got a bunch of Mexican Turbo Snails and my hair algae problem diminished significantly right after I put them in. I don't know if they're "supposed" to be good hair algae eaters, but it certainly worked for me.

reelfreak
02/17/2005, 09:41 PM
my mexican turbos, seem to keep every bit of hair algae at bay....I have not had any battle with it, but I've always has some big mexicans in there workin' like...mad. They are a bit cumbersome at times but the few places I saw it begin to show it's ugly hair, never went anywhere.....never underestimate substantial cleanup crews......people say they hate hermits, but when mine get hungry, they find something to eat (ie; algae)

DaddyJax
02/17/2005, 10:05 PM
Lawnmowers are good also but I agree that finding the source and fixing it is the best attack!! After the ro unit arrives do weekly 20% water changes for about a month or two and get a few mexican turbos or a lawnmower blenny(plus their cool) or both! Use phosban for about a month with weekly changes and your tank should be free of hair algae in no time! syphon your substrate once a week also!

Pistonkev
02/17/2005, 10:07 PM
I can rent you my purple tang he will fix it.

Ti
02/18/2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Nuhtty
Solving the issue(s) that caused the hair algae is a wiser path than simply taking measures to remove it physically or hide it.
But I did solve the issue.
nitrates were 0 and phosphates were 0.
After that THe quickest way of ridding the hair algae after that was to turn it around and let it die from lack of light. Cause despite the low levels and the efforts of the cleaning crew, the hair algae lingered cause it kept getting light.

jcardoza79
02/18/2005, 12:15 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. I will take into consideration everything that was said. Hopefully it will work.