PDA

View Full Version : Perfecto stands

Caryliss
02/16/2005, 11:04 PM
Any opinion on these, other than you get what you pay for? I have a 72" one for a 125g tank, purchased a year ago, that for various reasons I haven't set up yet. I am concerned about its strength. It doesn't appear to be sufficiently supported for the weight it will have to carry.

Also, the top, horizontal supports are slightly bowed upwards, so that when the tank is sitting on the stand the corners do not contact the stand. I know this is bad and I was planning on planing the 2x4's to make them level, but I wonder if it is worth it. I would return the stand, but again it was a year ago on a no-return sale. I should have inspected it sooner.

TIA

virgin reefer
02/17/2005, 02:29 PM
I am in the same position that you are. I bought a 75G on boxing day and it has a perfecto stand. Mine is also not set up. Is your stand two pilars or is it filled in with cabinets?

Al
02/17/2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Caryliss
I am concerned about its strength. It doesn't appear to be sufficiently supported for the weight it will have to carry.

I have wondered about this myself. The stand for my current tank, a 75 gallon, I built myself out of 3/4 plywood. The Allglass or Oceanic stands just did not look up to the job. Yet I have never heard of a stand collapsing. You would think there would be the occasional lawsuit in the news if it ever happened.

Caryliss
02/17/2005, 07:11 PM
The one I have is the pine, with 3 cabinet doors. I have two others of theirs (75g size and 55g size) and they have held up for 3 and 5 yrs respectively. I'm just concerned about the 125 because of its length--6 ft long--and the weight of a tank that size.

virgin reefer
02/18/2005, 08:09 AM
What do you have in the 75G. i.e. Lr, fish, and corals? Also what is your lighting and powerhead combo?

Caryliss
02/18/2005, 08:13 AM
The 75g is a reef tank, with maybe 90lbs of live rock, 4 fish (clown, purple tang, lawnmower blenny, and firefish), & a mix of softies, lps, and a few sps. Lighting is VHO, though if I could do it over I would have gone T5 or MH. 3 Maxijet powerheads, Aqua C Remora Pro skimmer.

virgin reefer
02/18/2005, 09:32 AM
Nice, That's what I want. I am going to buy 440W uri Vho and Ice cap ballast. It is going to cost me $700CAD. I like the thoughts of MH but the heat and the cost detere me. Have you had good growth with the VHO'S?

Caryliss
02/18/2005, 09:38 AM
Very good growth with the VHO actually, esp the corals that are high up in the tank. My disappointment with VHO is due to the color--too pink/purple. Make sure you see a VHO setup in person. Consider the T5's--less heat than VHO but the "white" bulbs are whiter.

virgin reefer
02/18/2005, 10:05 AM
I'll check into it. I'll see if I can get them in Canada. But to pink, What do you have two atintics and two 10,000 or.... how many bulbs?