PDA

View Full Version : FO Filtration

weidjd
02/16/2005, 07:26 PM
What filtration works best if not using live rock for a heavy load. I have a remora skimmer that I just got. This will be in a 50br.
I have a Penguin 350 w/bio wheel. Would that work?

Thanks

Don_Gnomio
02/16/2005, 07:32 PM
yes it would work just the bio wheel type filters tent to produce excess nitirtes/nitrates(cant remember which one) but other than that it sounds fine

HTH
Victor

weidjd
02/16/2005, 07:36 PM
Should I not use the bio wheels and just use the other filters?

weidjd
02/16/2005, 08:17 PM
Am I correct that the remora is the best skimmer for this size tank?

Reefmaniac1
02/17/2005, 02:36 AM
You don't need the Penguin. It will cause nitrate levels to rise as there are not anoxic (denitrifying) bacteria able to grow in proximity to the aerobic (nitrifying) to take care of the nitrates. Live rock, live sand and the skimmer are all that you will need...assuming of course, that you have sufficient water circulation.

joe90usa
02/17/2005, 12:55 PM
I assumed from the original post that there was no live rock or live sand which is what led to the question. I've just started a 55 FO tank as well as my first foray into salt, and I'm running a Magnum 350 along with a Pro 60 Bio Wheel right now. I have some rock that should evolve into live rock as we go, and this will (I hope) enable me to remove the bio wheel eventually. That said, I'm certainly learning as I go.