PDA

View Full Version : Acanthurus Sohal Tang

whosjohnny
02/16/2005, 04:18 PM
Hi,

I just got a good deal on a healthy eating Acanthurus Sohal, pretty eye, very active in my 60 gallon quarantine tank, swims all over. With all that I have read about this Sohal, they get extremely aggressive towards other tang. The only tang I have right now is the Purple, it's medium large size, about 5-6", it's very shy. In the future, I really want to consider getting a blonde naso as well and possible power blue.

Q1: Will I be better off with this Acanthurus tang than a PBT?
Q2: In a 6 foot long tank, will sohal tang grow less than maximum or are they the type of fish that will grow no matter what the tank size?

Q3: If I return Acanthurus Sohal, I also like Naso vlamingi, will Naso vlamingi be compatible with Naso lituratus (blonde)?

Q4: Are minimum tank size subjective? Why marinedepot a respectable online retailer says only 80 gallon?

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/754354.html
The Acanthurus sohal grows up to 12 inches. The Sohal Tang prefers a tank of at least 80 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Acanthurus sohal is an herbivore and likes to eat marine algae, zucchini, brocoli, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, lettus, seaweed, sponges, and other meaty treats. The Sohal Tang is a medium maintenance fish and may act aggressively towards other fish, especially towards other Tangs. Reef-safe. Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F). The Sohal Tang is commonly collected from the Red Sea.

Jamesurq
02/16/2005, 04:51 PM
I personally wouldn't do a sohol in anything smaller than several hundred gallons.

Q1 - that's purely subjective and something you'll have to figure out.
Q2 - It will probably grow slower than it would in a very large tank or in the ocean - but it will definitley outgrow the tank before you know it.
Q3 - Nasos are relatively docile. I've never had the vlamingi tang so I don't know for sure if the two are compatible. It's also a fish by fish basis. Just like people - there are different personalities within our species.
Q4 - Absolutely. Check other online retailers and you'll get lots of answers. there are so many variables to consider. Obviously the length, other inhabitants, amount of free swimming space, etc. I would say a Sohol in an 80 gallon tank is nuts...

whosjohnny
02/16/2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your input, most likely I'll return the Acanthurus Sohal and exchange it with a more docile naso. I prefer low bio-load, large space for fish, don't like the thought of pushing the limit on space sizes as it stresses the fish.

RockyMtnReef
02/16/2005, 05:56 PM
Sohals are large and can be very aggressive. Naso's are not generally as mean but can also get big, especially the males. They both are beautiful fish however, good luck. Keep an eye on the Purple regardless of which you choose. Chances are it will get territorial and pick on the new fish for a while.

whosjohnny
02/16/2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks. Quick change of scenarios.
Let's say I am wililng to forgo PBT and the Naso (extra money I could use to buy more corals).

The only fish (other than GSM pair) is an established Purple Tang of 3+ years in captivity, good eater, fat and plum, 5-6". I have Tonga branch and plate Live Rocks with plenty of large open caves with 6 foot of horizontal swimming space. 1250 gph through sump and ASM G3 skimmer, and additional 1100gph SEIO internal flow through the rockworks in the back of the tank glass.

Q1: Will just 2 tangs be compatible in a 6 foot tank? (purple, sohal)
Q2: Will Acanthurus attack my hand when I'm re-arranging the rockworks?
Q3: Will it also bother my pair of GSM maroon pairs? (2-3 inches, very young pairs, male is 1.5 in)
Q4: Will it harm or eat cleaner shrimps? LMB?

Acanthurus Sohal is around 5 inches, could be 6 (including tail), got him for $59, been at LFS for 3 weeks, eats flakes and brine, I think it's a steal.

RockyMtnReef
02/16/2005, 06:39 PM
Q1: Everyone will have a difference of opinion here but 6' seems like the minimum I would consider for a Sohol. There are plenty of people keeping two tangs in 4' tanks but the Sohals are very active swimmers and need more space than just about any other tang.
Q2 and 3: Only way to know for sure is to try and see. Every fish is different. Keep in mind that Purple's are notorious for being territorial as are maroon's. You will be adding another aggressive fish which might just balance everything or it could turn into a blood bath.

whosjohnny
02/16/2005, 06:44 PM
Good comments, I think you hit the "try it and see" route. No worry, I will keep my $59 bargain fish and just try it after the 4-6 weeks quarantine period is over. You never know with these fish, they may just work out or not... oh well, life is chance anyways, it's no surprise.

Only question is will they bite my hand if I want to re-arrange rockwork? That Sohal got visible TEETHS!! YIKES! Is it normal?

I am actually kind of excited with the possibility of having this setup work. Purple, GSM Pair, Zebra Sohal.