PDA

View Full Version : ozone, how effective is it?

james_uk
02/16/2005, 12:03 PM
Hi,
I use a skimmer rated for a 700 litre tank on my 55 gal along with Rowaphos and activated carbon for nutrient export. Despite this I am still having to remove cyano bacteria more often than I would like to. I could change the rowa and carbon more often but it makes the maintenance harder, not to mention the added cost as well.

The original plan was to install a refugium and harvest macro algae but after reading about ozone and considering the size of my skimmer I am hoping I can save myself the trouble.

Would be grateful if anyone who uses ozone could give me some facts and advise.

Thanks

bvoss
02/17/2005, 09:30 PM
I added ozone to my system and I have to say it was one of the most important additions I have made. It gave me a spectacular improvement in water clarity.

Fuges are good and cheap. I have one. But ozone can be very helpful as well. However, I wouldn't suggest that one is a substitute for another. They do very different things.

CaptiveMarine
02/18/2005, 04:11 PM
Hi James,

I don't run ozone on any of my tanks yet, but it is on my list of things to get (For some reason no matter what I buy that list never gets any shorter). However, the refugium is a good addition to a tank even without the cyano outbreak. Another thing you might want to look at is the water flow in your tank. Most cyano outbreaks occur in areas of low low, and offen just increasing to flow will clear this up.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

james_uk
02/18/2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Breadman
Hi James,

Another thing you might want to look at is the water flow in your tank. Most cyano outbreaks occur in areas of low low, and offen just increasing to flow will clear this up.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

It is interesting that you should say that. I've seen other people mention this in other threads when talking about cyano bacteria.

Given the fact that the algae/bacteria is a shade of brown rather than red, and seems to prefer to grow in areas of high flow, it makes me wonder wether I have made a mistake in identifying it as cyano. It also looks slightly hairy. Is there such thing as brown fine hair algae?

In addition to the skimmer pump and fluval 303 I also use 3 maxijets for circulation. I swear that the algae/bacteria is more numerous in the spots on the rocks where the power heads are aimed at.

I would love to know what's going on here. Anyhow, thanks to both of you for your 2 cents

CaptiveMarine
02/18/2005, 06:34 PM
Have you done any testing on your water, especially for phosphate? If so, please post them. It makes it easier to see what's going on in your tank.

james_uk
02/19/2005, 08:56 AM
Yes, I test the water regularly.

I've tested the following just now for you

Ammonia Undetectable with Salifert kit
Nitrite 0.1 ppm Salifert kit
Nitrate 2.5 ppm Salifert kit
Phosphate Undetectable with Salifert kit

wld1783
02/23/2005, 12:59 AM
Limited Ozone has the same effect as lots of carbon...However I find it more useful in the water clarity department. This will save you in the long run as in clear water 250 watt MH bulbs will be just as effective as 400 watt MH bulbs in slightly yellow water.

IMHO don't use it 24/7. Some say that it will reduce the effectiveness of you skimmer. I have mine on 15 minutes every hour with an ORP controller. When the ORP gets high it shuts off. Sometimes for a couple of days. I find this the best balance of clear water and maximum skimmer efficiency.

Bill