PDA

View Full Version : wholesalers SG

tangy1
02/15/2005, 08:57 PM
I just purcahesed a new purple tang and I put him in a bucket with the water from the bag at aclimatize him.
I thought I would ckeck the SG of the water before adding any of my own and was shocked when it read 1.015
Im glad I did this as I took a little bit extra time to convert him to my water which is 1.024.

kakan
02/15/2005, 09:33 PM
wow thats wierd you think they might be try to control an Ick outbreak and yous the hypo technic

capncapo
02/15/2005, 11:20 PM
You fish ( and any other animals you have ) will be much happier with a SG of around 1.026 ( natural sea water ).

I know, the package says 1.023 but it is wrong. Check with Dr. Ron.

Subrafta
02/16/2005, 11:37 AM
You were right to test first -- I've never seen 1.015 but the level has always been signicantly lower than my tank (1.025-1.026).

I ask the store and then test the bag water for salinity and sometimes pH before acclimating. If the store knows their water parameters it gives me more confidence in their operation. If they're way off I ask them why next time I'm in the store.

As kakan said, they may have been using a hypo-salinity environment to treat ich (or proactivly to keep ich down).

John

NHReeftank
02/16/2005, 03:55 PM
speakin of sg, i did the same thing with my LFS water... the reading came out below 1.010

but the tank the water came from was holding a lot of livestock(corals anenomes shrimp fish snails etc...)

beats me

reefmarker
02/16/2005, 03:58 PM
Very common for LFS and others to keep SG low. This keeps alot of diseases hidden until you get the fish home. I don't go to stores that keep a low SG since they are deliberately trying to hide poor quality fish from me by deliberately keeping their SG low.