PDA

View Full Version : Holey Moley!

thedogofwar
02/15/2005, 03:37 PM
Looking for opinions on the amount of holes in my design.

180G glasscages 72"x24"x25"

Heres a scaled diagram. The 2 larger holes are 2-3/8" and the other 6 are all 1-3/4"

Too many? :confused:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36585hole_layout.jpg

Red Sea Purple Tang
02/15/2005, 03:52 PM
Going big time hey Brandon? I'm picking up a 240L from them in May. Can't wait!!

thedogofwar
02/15/2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Red Sea Purple Tang
Going big time hey Brandon? I'm picking up a 240L from them in May. Can't wait!!

thats what I heard, Awesome! I was trying to put it off until I built my house but the deal was too good to pass up. Now I'm just trying not to break it! :p

Jus Reefin
02/15/2005, 04:12 PM
What are your plans for each hole??

Red Sea Purple Tang
02/15/2005, 04:13 PM
Are they coming to your area?

thedogofwar
02/15/2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Jus Reefin
What are your plans for each hole??

The 2 2 3/8" holes are for the Sequence Hammerhead Closed Loop inlet, the two 1.5" nearest the center are for the drain, the other 4 1.5" are for various Closed Loop outlets.

Jus Reefin
02/15/2005, 04:36 PM
Well that looks fine to me. Unless you are pushing a ton of water through the return you only need 1 drain but it's always nice to have a back up.

So the 2 bigger holes are going to be your CL drains? 1 CL drain per 2 CL returns correct? So you will have a total of 3 pumps??

thedogofwar
02/15/2005, 04:47 PM
Well that looks fine to me. Unless you are pushing a ton of water through the return you only need 1 drain but it's always nice to have a back up.

So the 2 bigger holes are going to be your CL drains? 1 CL drain per 2 CL returns correct? So you will have a total of 3 pumps??

close, just 2 pumps, the sump return and the closed loop.

I'm going with 2 drains just for flexibility and insurance, both of the larger holes will accept 1.5" BH's for the CL inlet, both to one pump. I imagine one would be enough but the holes are already there and it will help minimize suction at that point.

The CL will actually return through more than these 4 holes, there will be 4 holes for 3/4" BH's in the bottom and a top manifold. The CL will be ran on a 4 or 8way Oceans Motions.

sidewinder770
02/15/2005, 04:48 PM
This is very similar to my closed loop design. I also thought about a hammerhead for the closed loop but decided on 2 sequence darts instead here was my thinking-

1) after about 1.5 years the electricity saved pays for the price difference between the hammerhead and 2 darts (darts at $180 x 2 , hammerhead at $270).

2)If one pump fails you still have circulation, one pump is on a OM 4way for varying flow patterns and the other is a fixed closed loop

3)2 darts are quieter than the single hammerhead.

just a thought and by no means is one system beter than another I just thought I'd throw that out there as an idea. Keep the updates coming!

Jus Reefin
02/15/2005, 04:51 PM
Ok I see. You will need one big @$$ pump for that closed loop to feed all those holes plus the spray bar/manifold you are doing. I'm not sure how you would plumb 2 CL drains into 1 pump. As for 2 drains I am all for it. I have 2 1.5" drains on my tank and love it. If one gets plugged the other can handle the drainage

sidewinder770
02/15/2005, 04:51 PM
Almost forgot- with 2 darts your flow would be increased by 1600gph- which is always a good thing. I went with 2" bulkheads on the drains- one to each pump since the dart intakes are 2". I also went with 1.5" bulkheads for the returns.

Just my $.02

thedogofwar
02/15/2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by sidewinder770
This is very similar to my closed loop design. I also thought about a hammerhead for the closed loop but decided on 2 sequence darts instead here was my thinking-

1) after about 1.5 years the electricity saved pays for the price difference between the hammerhead and 2 darts (darts at $180 x 2 , hammerhead at $270).

2)If one pump fails you still have circulation, one pump is on a OM 4way for varying flow patterns and the other is a fixed closed loop

3)2 darts are quieter than the single hammerhead.

just a thought and by no means is one system beter than another I just thought I'd throw that out there as an idea. Keep the updates coming!

thats some good info, TY. I have been debating running multiple pumps for a failsafe. The noise and power consumption are a couple things I never realy thought of though. Are you happy with your OM? I had originally intended on running one on my 75 and changed my mind at the last minute. A mistake I wasn't planning on makiing again.

sidewinder770
02/15/2005, 05:01 PM
Wish I could give you some info on the 4 way but as of right now my OM 4way is sitting at the UPS station in Detroit (According to the UPS site anyway). I have the Dart pumps already and with any luck will be hooking up the above mentioned closed loop systems in the next week or 2. I just liked getting more flow, less electricity over time, redundancy, and quieter operation- made the decision pretty simple for me.

The Hammerhead is great for pressure applications but for a closed loop system the darts should work great (thats what they were designed for). The electricity factor was easy- 2 pumps total less than the single pump on amps so it will save money.

My progress is listed under "our 375 gallon project" in this same forum if you want to check out my progress thus far.

thedogofwar
02/15/2005, 06:18 PM
Ok I see. You will need one big @$$ pump for that closed loop to feed all those holes plus the spray bar/manifold you are doing.

Sequence hammerhead 5,800GPH. On a 4way OM this will only be directed to any 8 1/2" loc-line outlets at a given time. With losses I estimate avg 500GPH/outlet. This was calculated by information obtained from Anthony Calfo. the outlet # and size that is.

I'm not sure how you would plumb 2 CL drains into 1 pump.

I hope thats no big deal. It may try to pull harder from one inlet but I can finnesse that with the vlvs that will be there. I hope anyway, I don't see why not. I should get a gentler pull from the intakes too. I hope somebody staightens me out if I'm wrong.

As for 2 drains I am all for it. I have 2 1.5" drains on my tank and love it. If one gets plugged the other can handle the drainage

I'm all about redundancy and have a paranoia of my tanks flooding. 2 1" drains for only a mag9.5 on the 75 and a dual zone lvl controller. :o

Originally posted by sidewinder770
Almost forgot- with 2 darts your flow would be increased by 1600gph- which is always a good thing. I went with 2" bulkheads on the drains- one to each pump since the dart intakes are 2". I also went with 1.5" bulkheads for the returns.

Just my $.02

Yeah I just saw that when I went back looking. I'm sold on the idea. I had originally chosen the hammerhead because of GPH/price. Seems like everytime I've looked at other pumps, it's been cheaper to go bigger than multiple smaller ones. I also reconsidered the actual length of a possible down time and the difficulties of temporarily supplimenting enough flow. I also have the advantage of running a single more efficient pump in the case of a long term power outage.

Jus Reefin
02/15/2005, 06:57 PM
Sounds like you got things under controll. It's nice to see things planned out so well. it makes for a funner hobby down the road!

thedogofwar
02/16/2005, 09:46 AM
except the integrity of the rear glass. :)

I've made my share of mistakes on my first 2 tanks.

I'm wondering about the intakes for 2 dart pumps now. The hammerhead only used 1.5" like the BHs are. I guess I could always make them bigger.

paulpp187
02/16/2005, 07:25 PM
are those holes are all on the bottom of the tank. how htick is the glass? you talk to anyone about the drilling that many in the bottom i would think with that many that the bottom may give out assuming its glass that is

thedogofwar
02/16/2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by paulpp187
are those holes are all on the bottom of the tank. how htick is the glass? you talk to anyone about the drilling that many in the bottom i would think with that many that the bottom may give out assuming its glass that is

I didn't notice that I hadn't mentioned it, these are actually in the rear pane.

Rendos
02/16/2005, 08:55 PM
Looks pretty similar to mine. I have 4 drains at the top for the sump. 2 holes further down for the closed loop intake, and 4 returns in my back glass. I also have 3 returns in the bottom of my tank for closed loop circulation.
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/7132040-M.jpg