PDA

View Full Version : Coral ID Feature?

Leviathan
02/15/2005, 06:15 AM
I was wondering earlier why RC has not to date made a coral ID feature ( That I am aware of anyhow ). Similar to or somthing along the lines of the photo gallery. Only positive ID'ed pictures of SPS/LPS/Softies would be in each catagory, and there could be a search function to help thoses wanting to ID find what they are looking for.

It should also be set up where not just anyone can post a picture without first having the proper ID, perhaps the posting of such pictures would be taken care of by Mod's or staff under the supervision of Eric.

I realize there are literally hundreds of threads about ID'ing this and that, but maybe it would be better to have it consolidated into a single area of RC. It could also extend to ID'ing fish and all other inhabitants in different searchable catagories.

Just a thought, maybe its been thought of before and was to large of a project to undertake.

greenbean36191
02/15/2005, 10:12 AM
My guess is because it is so hard to get a positive ID on corals from a picture.

Leviathan
02/15/2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by greenbean36191
My guess is because it is so hard to get a positive ID on corals from a picture.

You make a very good point!

There has to be a way to do it, I personally think it would be a great resource.

gtrestoration
02/15/2005, 07:04 PM
http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralsearch.php

SteveU

Leviathan
02/15/2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the link gtrestoration, I actually have that one bookmarked myself.

Still would be nice to here from some staff on the idea though!