PDA

View Full Version : FAST fish help, please!

ScooterGuitar
02/14/2005, 11:34 PM
Girlfriend just brought home a couple of fish: Chevron Tang and a firefishJust tore down the QT yesterday w/o her knowledge, so no way can I QT at this point.
So, the LFS (never heard of them, out of town in Detroit) did the following: Told her they would be fien and pack them for a 6 hour trip. Well, they packed them in a garbage bag together! So, I have no bags, nothing to float. So far I have put them in buckets with air stones and doing a slow drip. The only thing thing that helps ease my mind alittle is that their salinity was at .24, not down around .19 as most LFS do.
Suggestions?

aLittletank
02/14/2005, 11:54 PM
nothing wrong with the bucket drip for acclimation...

now if it was my tank those fish would not go into my reef without quarantining them. I would rather loose those two new fish than introduce an illness to my reef

set the tank back up now and seed the tank with items from your sump(if no sump then tank) regular testing and water changes for the next few weeks until you feel safe to add them.

Allen

ScooterGuitar
02/15/2005, 12:02 AM
Maybe I should have added that the tank is only a few months old! There are only a few small fish in the tank, so at this point I have to take my chances.
His (tang) color is looking good. I guess he came out of their reef stock tank. Firefish seems fine.
Sooo, any quick help on traits, etc with these fish? I ahven't ahd tiem to reseacrh them.

ScooterGuitar
02/15/2005, 09:35 AM
Quick update: Well the Chevron seems to be doing ok, he has now been in the tank for about 9 hours. He was accepting food this AM and his color is great. He slowly ventures out form his hiding spot.
No sign of the firefish, ugh, maybe he's hiding out still.

fd235158
02/15/2005, 10:34 AM
Watch the tang closely as most tangs are prone to ich (every tang I've gotten had spots within a few days, but I've only had hippo's). Get your QT up and running just in case. Good luck

eidillitih
02/15/2005, 11:19 AM
hippo's though, are prone to ick. But, I agree, watch carefully.

GregM779
02/15/2005, 11:51 AM
The firefish will probably hide for the first week, they dig burrows kind of like jawfish and come out to feed, eventually it should come out more. The chevron you should have waited on, he will become very territorial, if you want any more tangs you need to do it somewhat soon. The 2 fish I added after my chevron were beat up the first couple of days but now are fine. The chevron is also more prone to diseases because it is a tang but is more sturdy than most tangs.

ScooterGuitar
02/15/2005, 12:08 PM
Thansk for the input everyone! Yep, I know tangs are very prone to ich, but I literally had no other option, it was late at night and no way I could take off work :>)
I know it should have been added later, for aggresive reasons and to let the system becoem more established. I am feeding a 3 part medicated food, per Seachem(Metx. Focus, garlic guard) hopefully that will ward off any signs of ich at this point. Yes, my 110 QT should be up this weekend and ready to go, so any sings, and I'll take them out and treat as needed..
This tang is really small, so any fish I add should be able to hold their own, maybe! I will probably only add: another tang, puffer, Emperor Angel (long down the road!) and that's about it. Possibly another small clown. These are in a 125 FOWLR.
Thanks again,
S