PDA

View Full Version : bottle of cycle

GotSalt?
02/14/2005, 09:57 PM
does it work? i get my clean up crew order soon as most of you know but i still have some nitrites (just over 5ppm). will cycle help at all or would i just be tossing money. what shal i do if on wed my nitrites r still up there.

coralreef321
02/14/2005, 11:33 PM
dont wast your money just let the tank do its thing. the clean up crew will be ok with the nitrates. As long as the ammonia spike is dont you are in the clear just dont add coral or fish yet.

Majorwld3
02/14/2005, 11:38 PM
Do you have any algae growth yet?

dsandfort
02/14/2005, 11:40 PM
Hi GS-
I'd save my money on the miracle cycle stuff. Your nitrite level indicates that nitrate levels might not have not peaked yet (are you checking these?). Is no2 rising or decreasing?
Anyhow, nitrite is converted to nitrate by a certain species of bacteria. Unless the cycle provides this, it's a matter of time and you can't speed that up.
I put some hermits in my tank pre-cycle. They survived the whole cycle including the ammonia spike. If ammonia is gone, I think you are OK with the crew. What is your ammonia level?

Del

GotSalt?
02/14/2005, 11:43 PM
amm- is 0
trIres-just above 5
trates-just over 20

will my peperment and snails be ok

dsandfort
02/14/2005, 11:48 PM
I would not be optimistic on the shrimp and snails. I think the hermits will hold their own based on my experience.

I'll hold them for you if you want. Are you part of the Murdock bunch buy? If so, a friend of mine is also in the order and we are going down to Yale's to get his stuff. You'd just have to get your stuff from me.

I think you need more cycle time.

D

GotSalt?
02/14/2005, 11:50 PM
but you are all the way up in ft collins. could anybody closer hold for me

ktani
02/14/2005, 11:51 PM
I would agree with the prevous posts. If you put one piece of live rock, you have already introduced bacteria. If you noticed, when you started the tank, you may have had a sandstorm, and it can last for a while, but put one small piece of live rock and in a day the sandstorm dissipates.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what rock is it? Florida rock?

You might want to do a water change to get those nitrates down a bit. Also, watch your lights as you may spark a hair algae bloom. Much of this is normal in cycling, just remember patience, patience and then a bit more for good measure.

Good luck and keep us informed. Pics are always a treat.

Kip

GotSalt?
02/14/2005, 11:54 PM
well i was going to do a 40-50% change the day before i went to get my stuff. i use DI water and it is fuji.

GotSalt?
02/14/2005, 11:56 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/507/79218mini-fish_tank_2.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/507/79218mini-Fish_tank_1.JPG

ktani
02/15/2005, 12:02 AM
looks quite nice, are you running a skimmer on that? It could be why some of the cycling is taking so long. The organics are not being removed from the water column. Is that a bio wheel?

Generally with most Fiji rock, I would have thought 2 weeks would be sufficient. If you can, I would strongly suggest a good skimmer for your system. It really is amazingly helpful.

The rock looks nice, it should be really cool when you start adding livestock. Good job on aquscaping.

Kip

GotSalt?
02/15/2005, 12:04 AM
no just a HOB running carbon no skimmer. how much would a skimmer for a 10gal run me . im kinda in a crunch

dsandfort
02/15/2005, 12:10 AM
Way up in Fort Collins?? I heard that we might even get them new-fangled flush decrapitators soon. The PE (that's pony express) could probably get them dern snails down yer way in a couple days, if the injuns don't sniff em out. ;)
D

GotSalt?
02/15/2005, 12:12 AM
i dont need the extra cost id rather drive

ktani
02/15/2005, 12:18 AM
I think marwes (Wes) is selling one. I do not really know anything about it though.

Kip

prsguy
02/15/2005, 12:20 AM
To answer your question, I tried Bio Spira from Marineland and it was a waste of money.

GotSalt?
02/15/2005, 12:24 AM
so how exactly will a skimmer help me. i was also thinking of making my 2.5 g into a sump. small i know but it is what i got

dsandfort
02/15/2005, 12:36 AM
A skimmer will export nutrients before they enter the nitrogen cylce. Your 2.5 g would support a nice growth of higher algae which will also export nutrients. I think the the sump idea is a good idea long term but will not speed up the current cycle.

Nice rock work btw.

Del

GotSalt?
02/15/2005, 12:39 AM
yea i have to ditch the gold fish in the tank now. i have no way to move the water to sthe sump and back up. i suppose i could use my HOB to get it there could i use an extra PH to move the water back up?

GotSalt?
02/15/2005, 12:44 AM
skimmer (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4356380930&rd=1)

will this be ok

dsandfort
02/15/2005, 12:47 AM
Not sure what ph you are running. Most small ones won't lift water very far. Give it a try since you wouldn't need much flow through the 2.5. Someone in the metro area will surely have some macro algae for you and a simple Depot grow light will keep it growing.
Like Kip said, in this hobby it pays to make haste slowly.
D