PDA

View Full Version : Drilling the back of a 125g

az_lynx
02/14/2005, 03:12 PM
Ok... I just recently got a 125g Lee Mar diamond edge 6ft tank and black Oceanic stand from Tropical Treasures. (Great place and great people!)

The bottom is tempered and I was going to do external overflows but I had them call the maker and it turns out the sides are NOT tempered. This has changed my plans a bit and I have even thought about doing small internal overflow boxes (drilled through back) and a closed loop drilled in the back.

I have been doing tons of reading here on RC about drilling a tank and I have to admit... even if I bought a few 10g (cheep enough at $10 a piece) and tested my skills I'm still not sure if I would be comfortable doing the 125g.

Has anyone in town drilled their own tanks OR does anyone know any shops (or people) here in AZ that I could drive the tank to and have it drilled.

Also... about how many holes can I put in the back of a 125g 6ft'er before I would have problems with stability?

Also... I'm still looking for a good design for where to drill for returns and what not. I don't know that many people in the hobby and I'm more of a quite fellow at the DMS meets :o (The tall guy w/ the shaved head and long goatee)

Thanks in advance,
Chris
(20g to a 55g and now to a 125g w/ 55g sump/fuge)

Azilla
02/14/2005, 03:17 PM
Feel free to give Ron a call I think he still drills tanks.

Ron
Algae Eaters
6420 W. Poinsettia Dr.
Phx. (623) 878-8890

HTH.

- G

AZDesertRat
02/14/2005, 05:04 PM
Chris,
PM me for directions and stop by and look at my 5' LeeMar 100G. It might give you an idea on hole placements. I am about a block from Tropical Treasures. and I bought my tank there also but had LeeMar drill the holes. I would also recommend Algae Eaters.

A.J.

Fliger
02/14/2005, 06:48 PM
Hey there, I have some pix on my website that you can see where I drilled the holes for the drain to the CL and the returns. I've done this on my last 2 tanks. I'm actually not even using them on this one (yet) but am very happy with the placement.

You can see them in "tank1", "tank3" and "tank move in day2".

If you can oversize your drain - you will have a bigger screen and reduce suction - a little safer for critters.