PDA

View Full Version : How do i get rid of these anenome looking things which are all over my rock

firefighterbryan
02/13/2005, 10:39 PM
I have these things groing all over my live rock an they look like anenomes.Aiptose i think maybe they are called?Any suggestions,Please help

Adam NS.
02/13/2005, 10:42 PM
when i had aiptasia all i did was harass the hell out of them and they just got fewer and fewer. i also took a syringe and tried to suck out as much of them as i could( damage them as much as you can) just my opinion, it worked for me.

AJ69
02/13/2005, 10:59 PM
Use a syringe with some kalk(paste form) and inject the aiptasia,though you have to be careful with everything that might be close to it,you could kill it also, I meant as corals not fish.This method is cheaper than buying the joe's juice at a LFS.
My 2 cents:D
Good Luck!

firefighterbryan
02/13/2005, 11:14 PM
I think there may be to many to inject,any other suggstions as in fish or chemicals

Adam NS.
02/13/2005, 11:20 PM
you could try a copperband butterfly but thats pretty iffy, i had a camel shrimp that ate the anemones but only very very very slowly, i had 25 aiptasia in my tank and the method i described worked, and well, i am now aiptasia free.

Jovreefer
02/14/2005, 12:00 AM
Copperband butterflys do great! I threw one in my friends 40gal tank that was covered EVERY inch with aiptasia (even the snails had it on their shells lol) and it was ALL gone in 2 weeks.

Pepperment shrimp are supose to eat them too, but I think they only eat little ones, if you have a huge amount I dont think you'll see a difference with the shrimp.

kenny77
02/14/2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Adam NS.
when i had aiptasia all i did was harass the hell out of them and they just got fewer and fewer. i also took a syringe and tried to suck out as much of them as i could( damage them as much as you can) just my opinion, it worked for me.

i would do this, unless im planning to cultivate aiptasia. if you damage an aiptasia and some pieces of it get into the water column, it will grow as a new aiptasia even if it is a tiny tentacle that you break and didnt take out.

i will either get some joe's juice, or use kalk paste. also boiling water will do the job. but not for to long, and can damage any nearby coral.

kenny77
02/14/2005, 02:01 AM
also i forgot to add Berghian Nudibranch. they will be a good choice if you have plenty of aiptasia. but after they are done they will starve to dead unless you cultivate aiptasia and keep them in the cultivating tank. wich i thing will be cool.

snail_collector
02/14/2005, 07:57 AM
Make sure they are Aiptasia though. If they are Majano than your only choices may be a Racoon Butterfly (who will also eat and polyps, mushrooms, other anemones) or the kalkwasser paste solution. Berghia will not touch majano and I've never seen peppermints or a Copperband touch them. I have used the Racoon before but it works best if you can keep him in a refugium and move the infected rocks to him to save any of your other corals.

GobiosomaOceanops
02/14/2005, 11:34 AM
I successfully rid my tank of Aiptasia by utilizing a syringe with hyperdermic needle to inject a very small quantity of lime juice directly into the center of the Aiptasia (being careful not to use too much lime juice, in order not to throw off paramaters; for this same reason, if there are many aiptasia, I would not inject more than a few at a time, depending on the size of your tank.) By the way, you can purchase the syringe at any pharmacy or farm/feed supply.

Note: Aiptasia reproduce asexually, by releasing tiny bits of tissue from the foot and/or by giving live birth to fully formed Aiptasia by ejecting them from the mouth. And as previously mentioned... Aiptasia have regenerative capabilities, meaning that any tiny bit of an aiptasia that remains or is broken off will grow.

The lime juice method I described above worked for me, otherwise, GARF offers a similar method w/recipe that seems promising here: http://www.garf.org/news7p1.html :)

MORAY
02/14/2005, 02:24 PM
A copperbanded butterfly has worked very well for me for several years now and besides controlling aiptasia it is a great fish.