PDA

View Full Version : ph and calcium levels

rbakken
12/24/2001, 11:22 PM
My tank has been setup and running now for 3 weeks, I have been taking all of my measurements and checking for the cycle. And last week I started dosing tech cb in addition to Reef Vital DNA (which I have been using for the last 2 weeks) to try and get my calcium levels up to 400 to 450. After I started dosing the tech cb my ph went up to 8.8 and has been there for the last 3 days is this because of the tech cb? Also my calcium levels have gone up from 300 to 320....should it be going up faster than that or does it take awhile? Another question is I am using the SeaTest Calcium test kit and I have been having a bit of trouble reading the results, so I could just be reading them wrong. Is there are easier Calcium test kits to use? Thanks!

New Reefer
12/24/2001, 11:39 PM
IMHO you should not be worried about calcium levels at this time - after all, you should not even consider the addition of any coral untill the tank is at least 3 months old - six would be even better...

Also, adding too much calcium additives at any one time can cause the pH to increase drastically, which would cause calcium to precipitate out of solution, actually reducing the calcium content!

Lastly, don't use any other additive (such as the "Reef Vital DNA") - adding "snake oils" only makes YOU feel good, at best it does not do anything for the tank, usually it just causes an increase in algae.

If you want to check the accuracy of your test kits, just make some "fresh" seawater, and test that. You should get a reading similar to that of NSW, or as stated by the salt manufacturer. Obviously, this will only be the case for "full strength" seawater (35ppt). "Weaker" water will have a correspondingly lower level elements.

Have a Blessed Christmas
Hennie