PDA

View Full Version : Frozen vs. Dry food and the ammount of waste it produces

redspot321
02/11/2005, 04:23 PM
There seems to be a ton of little micro pieces off food particles that are not eaten with the frozen cube foods. Does this increase the “bad� organic stuff in the water.

There seems to be less food hitting the substrate with the dry sheet algae and flake food, which makes me think that my water quality will stay better longer.

What do you think?

lacie143
02/11/2005, 04:26 PM
i try to feed hakari mysis shrimp when i feed frozen because the shrimp are whole and there are very little particles floating around. I rinse them in tap water first to keep the phosphates down. I feed more pellets than anything for that reason.

NeilPearson
02/11/2005, 04:26 PM
I melt the food in a little dish and then drain off the water before adding it to the tank. The water will take on a brownish color... this has tons of nitrates and phosphates that don't get eaten and we probably shouldn't be adding it to our tanks.

trippyl
02/11/2005, 04:58 PM
feed frozen. Don't feed flakes. You want happy healthy fat fish? Give them food similar to what they'd eat in real life. That's the very least you can do since you took them out of the ocean where they were happy, just so YOU could look at them.

I am just as guilty of the same crime. I try to make ammends by providing clean water, safe environs, and lots of food.

Flatlander
02/11/2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by trippyl
feed frozen. Don't feed flakes. You want happy healthy fat fish? Give them food similar to what they'd eat in real life. That's the very least you can do since you took them out of the ocean where they were happy, just so YOU could look at them.

Spirulina flakes are one of the best foods you can feed your fish, esp. herbivores.

My fish eat a variety of frozen and flakes and some pellets, plus what I can naturally produce in my aquarium, like pods and different algaes. I also rinse most of the frozen I feed.

lacie143
02/11/2005, 05:56 PM
i agree.; theres nothing wrong with flake food, as long as it is only to supplement a healthy diet and it is not the main food fed. I feed my fish Ocean Nutrition's brine shrimp flakes and they love it. They also get frozen mysis, frozen formula two, sweetwater zooplankton, formula 2 pellets, spectrum pellets, vibragrow pellets, live brine, nori, and seaweed flakes. I should add, i dont buy one of these and feed it until it runs out, i alternate all of them regularly and on no particular schedual. Variety is best!

redspot321
02/11/2005, 06:31 PM
I guess an alternation of all types is best!