PDA

View Full Version : Is this good HOB overflow?

MalawianDude
02/11/2005, 01:34 PM
I have been looking around on net and ebay for a decent HOB overflow that i dont have to worry about it losing suction if power goes out or something, i think doesn't it work if u have baffles built into the overflow it won't lose suction then? Or does it have to have the airlifter pump? I have seen this one on ebay:

Looks very similiar to the CPR but doesn't have the airlifter connection.

Ebay Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4356136686)

rsman
02/16/2005, 03:05 AM
generally id say NO, you really want one with the U tube, not the square section, its not a for sure thing as I dont recognize it. the U tubes are generally better though.

aLucidDream
02/16/2005, 03:41 AM
I agree with rsman, I'm not to sure how the flow would be going thru that as its more in the shape of a square. Maybe someone will answer that has one or had one. Just seems to me you would be trying to siphon water through it every 10 minutes. Could be wrong though

DaveC
02/16/2005, 07:00 AM
Anything shaped like that even if it is not a CPR is probably not worth it, I had a CPR, not only did they fail, but the square shape of it makes it impossible to do a good cleaning of the inner sides, plus a snail made it past the screen and could never get the shell out once he died.....most all of the U-Tube overflows are pretty good, www.lifereef.com makes the best and that is what I use and have not have a problem in the three years, and many power outages, but any overflow that maintains a level of water in the inner box so the U-Tube is underwater is good, because of the U-Tube being under water it will not lose siphon and will more than likely start up everytime you either lose power or shut it off...the price look good for $29.00 but the headackes will be endless...

DaveC

sjm817
02/16/2005, 07:17 AM
No, stay away. Lifereef or Amiracle are the way to go.

MalawianDude
02/16/2005, 07:36 AM
they seem good but overpriced. So i looked more into the UTube overflows found these two:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4357744906&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4358149003&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

So this U Tube thing, when power goes out, it will drain main tank down to the overflow rim, hopefully not flooding my sump/fuge, and when power comes back on and return pump begins to put water back into main tank, the siphon should start up again? and not flood the main tank?

*knows a non RR tank was not way to go*

sjm817
02/16/2005, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't say that $45 for an Amiracle (http://aquacorals.com/ShopOverflows.htm) is overpriced.

t4grls324
02/16/2005, 08:13 AM
i have got the square shaped over flow and i do no tile it. i ordered the round tube for mine. i will post when i get it to tell u how it works

MalawianDude
02/16/2005, 11:35 AM
$45 for amiracle? i didn't see that i was seeing $99 for the overflow....on the lifereef.com site.

rsman
02/16/2005, 12:51 PM
one of the bigger differences is when some air gets into them, the U tube will still work with what seems like a lot of air, its still bad but its not the end of the world, the flat top ones are more effected by even less air. another thing is if the flow rate is high enough the u tube will push the air right out, the 1 i had that had a square top (its been years) it would push the air down but not out.

MalawianDude
02/16/2005, 12:52 PM
even with a airlifter kit? like that thing that drs foster & smith sells to suck air out with reverse pump? or even hooking up a airline to a powerhead?

rsman
02/16/2005, 01:28 PM
those just extend the time between failures :D

what happens is those clog, and you wont know it, as there are no symptoms, then air gets traped and your tank overflows.

MalawianDude
02/16/2005, 01:31 PM
only overflows? see that not a big deal..lol. I am looking into them two auctions with the Utube thing, i am going to install a screamer thing too in both tanks....hmm maybe i would only need one, so i can know first thing when something goes wrong...

Kschell
02/16/2005, 02:24 PM
I just bought the Lifereef slimline dual overflow. They claim no power outage fainures in 18 years of making them. I will have to chime in again after I have it set up....

MalawianDude
02/16/2005, 02:43 PM
cool i am workin on getting things together for sump/seperate fuge as i have the CPR HOB fuge already...but wanna upgrade in couple months to all out 20 or 30g fuge