PDA

View Full Version : Is this R/O Unit any good??

woogie
02/11/2005, 11:13 AM
I just orderd this Dow 50 gallon per day residential Reverse Osmosis filter w/ DRINKING WATER KIT unit at CustumAquatic.com and realized, I don't know anything about it, except that it's on sale.

Any thoughts about this. Is it easy to install under my sink?

Will I be able to cancell My Bottled Water Delivery with this because it has the " DRINKING WATER KIT" with it??

Thanks. Here's the link.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/itemdetail.asp?itemid=RO-CAR150-4-D

Maxxumless
02/11/2005, 11:36 AM
Most RO/DI units are fine. I recommend you take a look at filterdirect’s prices at ebay though. They are a slight bit cheaper than the one you posted but has a DI unit and an added carbon unit and some come with a TDS meter. It is what I have been using for a little longer than six months and it has not disappointed me. I have not heard anything bad about them from those that have purchased one from filterdirect. Just an FYI on saving some money.

Edit: oops, forgot the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4357007340&tc=photo

AZDesertRat
02/11/2005, 12:39 PM
The unit you ordered from Custom Aquatic is a good one. You might be able to beat the price just a little bit at Costco for an almost identical unit but its maybe a few $$ at most. Get an add on DI cartridge and an icemaker kit and you are ready for everything.
As for the Filter Direct unit, the Custom unit has a better membrane. I don't know how they get away with advertising 110GPD because NOBODY makes a 110GPD RO membrane, nobody. What they use is either a 100 high capacity microfilter rated at 90% or a 75GPD (50psi)true RO membrane which they state puts out 100 GPD at 70psi, which most of us do not have.
Stay with a 75 or 50 GPD RO and you will gety the best quality water and the longest life out of your DI resin.

john76
02/11/2005, 12:46 PM
I have the filter direct unit with the DI and it's 100gpd for like $130 shipped.

Maxxumless
02/11/2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
As for the Filter Direct unit, the Custom unit has a better membrane. I don't know how they get away with advertising 110GPD because NOBODY makes a 110GPD RO membrane, nobody. What they use is either a 100 high capacity microfilter rated at 90% or a 75GPD (50psi)true RO membrane which they state puts out 100 GPD at 70psi, which most of us do not have.
Stay with a 75 or 50 GPD RO and you will gety the best quality water and the longest life out of your DI resin.

True, the 85g/d actually does about 45-50 and the 110g/d actually does closer to 70. However, for the price (109 and 135 respectively) it is still a bargain. After 6+ months I still have a TDS of 0 down from around 350 and I pump out more than a 1000g a month (drinking, hydroponics, pets and 3 aquariums). I also have a Kent Maxxima RO/DI 50gpd unit and I think it is a waist of money (I paid around 250 for it). The Water General produces better water quality over a longer period of time and cost half as much. And anyway, if you are dissatisfied with the filtration you can always upgrade the filtration modules (it uses the same Kent filter sizes) and pay 60-70 bucks for another membrane.

AZDesertRat
02/11/2005, 01:36 PM
How many gallons does your DI resin last?

anthony34
02/11/2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
The unit you ordered from Custom Aquatic is a good one. You might be able to beat the price just a little bit at Costco for an almost identical unit but its maybe a few $$ at most. Get an add on DI cartridge and an icemaker kit and you are ready for everything.
As for the Filter Direct unit, the Custom Aquatic unit has a better membrane. I don't know how they get away with advertising 110GPD because NOBODY makes a 110GPD RO membrane, nobody. What they use is either a 100 high capacity microfilter rated at 90% or a 75GPD (50psi)true RO membrane which they state puts out 100 GPD at 70psi, which most of us do not have.

I myself have the one from Ebay as well and the total was just $96+shipping and has 6stages at 100GPD, even though some say that Custom is better that truely has never been proven
and just so you know that all the parts no matter what brand are interchangeable so, why spend more if and when you need a new membrane, just add the one from Custom Aquatic then there you go, cheaper price overall without paying for the name on the front of the unit itself its what inside the unit not the name on the outside.

On a side note it takes me 1h 30mins to fill 5g

AZDesertRat
02/11/2005, 02:33 PM
I just try to make people understand there is a difference in membranes. If at all possible get a real RO membrane and not a microfilter like some units have. You are correct in that most housings, brackets and fittings are the same from one to the other but membranes are not. Why not get the correct membrane the first time so you don't have to replace DI resin so often at $12 to $25 a pop. If you look here you will see the difference in the membranes http://www.dow.com/liquidseps/prod/home_ele.htm

anthony34
02/11/2005, 03:28 PM
You are correct but lets keep in mind that all number can be skewed in one favor or another, all depends on your source, now the differece from getting it the first time, You have to do the numbers.

Kent Marine Deluxe Hi-S RO/DI (4-Stage) 60gpd - $300.00 - membrane will not last forever so you will change it rather its 6months or 1y, depending on your tap water
Kent Hi-S TFC 60gpd Membrane
Code:KENT-HI-S-M60
Price: $98.95

Total = 398.00 (After 1year)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compaired
Aqua 6Stage 100 gpd - now you have more stages to go through therefore breaking down more particles, less work for the membrane save life time - $69.00+20shipping = $89.00

Six months to a year Lets say I replace the Membrane with Kent brand $98.95.

Total = 187.95
---------------------------------------
Total Savings = 210.05 Savings

The numbers speak volumes

Please realize I am not knocking what you have just pointing out that there are cheap options, the price alone is what keep people from owning reef systems, 200+dollars savings could go on something else thats needed for your tank.

AZDesertRat
02/11/2005, 03:33 PM
I would not buy the Kent, there are much better options. But if I were buying one of the e-bay units I would request the best membrane up front rather than replacing it later. Companies like Aquatic Reef Systems, Spectrapure and Air Water & Ice give you the option of picking the membrane you want for your particular application.

woogie
02/11/2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks everone.

AZDesertRat, judging by your occupation, I think I'll take your advice.

Do you know if Costco has the DI unit as well??\

Thanks

AZDesertRat
02/11/2005, 11:26 PM
No I don't think they carry DI. You can get an add on cartridge at any of the places I mentioned before as well as at www.buckeyefieldsupply.com and others. If possible get a vertical refillable cartridge, it will save you lots of money in the long run by being able to buy bulk refills for much less. You don't really need color changing resin either if you get a handheld TDS meter. I think the unit at Costco and others come with a TDS meter sometimes. Its $25 well spent if they don't though.