PDA

View Full Version : Drilling for the return pump?

SeaSaltyDog
02/08/2005, 04:24 PM
How far from the bottom of the tank should I drill my glass sump for the return pump. The pump is a Blueline 50pxx.

Thanks in advance.

Vincerama2
02/08/2005, 04:31 PM
Does the pump sit inside or outside the tank? I'd suggest you just put the pump next to the tank and mark it off.

You might want the bulkhead higher up though, just in case you have to detach the pump you don't want water pouring out of the sump.

V

SeaSaltyDog
02/08/2005, 04:39 PM
Its an external pump. I was going to do that but I wanted to make sure there was no minimum level. I dont want the hole to effect the integraty of the tank.

Thanks

Homebrew
02/08/2005, 04:40 PM
For glass, you don't want to get too close to the edges or the risk of cracking increases. I assume you are going to turn a 90 "L" down for the return inside the sump? If so, you can drill the center about 3-1/2" from the bottom and it will give you 1-1/2" clearance below the L to suck up the water. The pump will need to be elevated on a small platform or else connected with spaflex or other flexible tubing. I think that pump's output centerline is about 2-1/4", and if I'm remembering that correctly, your pump would sit on a platform that is 1-1/4" high. You could also drill it at about 3-1/4" and use a standard 2x4 or 2x6 block as the pump platform.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Vincerama2
02/08/2005, 04:55 PM
I suggest two 45 degree turns rather than a 90, just because pumps should not have too much resistance on the input side (it might damage them) Resistance on output is OK though (it won't cause cavitation).

V

SeaSaltyDog
02/08/2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks

Dragonmaster
02/08/2005, 05:02 PM
I would suggest not doing any turns on the pump. Just elevate the punp with foam rubber & or egg crate if nessisary. Come strait out to the intake. On the inside of the sump put a 45 degree down so you don't suck air.

Dragon

CaptainCoral
02/08/2005, 08:23 PM
I recomend putting them as close to the bottom as you can get the bulkheads to fit. This is in order to reduce the height of water needed to fend off cavitation from lack of sump pressure to the pump and to save space in the sump for power outages. I wish I made mine an inch or two lower.