PDA

View Full Version : There's clean,and then there's CLEAN!

kevensquint
02/07/2005, 09:37 PM
This may sound strange,anyone here ever try to beat hair algae or any algae and end up with a tank thats nearly algae free?
I'm not bragging,I'm actually a little concerned.Once the turbos took out the hair algae and I improved the water quality,I only get a thin light green algae on the top of the rocks that grows very slow,whats more, I think its a type of coraline 'cause the turbos can't get it off.I only need to clean the front glass about every 4 days.I gave away the urchin and a few turbos will be gone soon too,there's no more food for them.Corals look good though.I've never seen a tank with this much light look so clean,is this bad?

minus_13
02/07/2005, 09:38 PM
Are you complaining? Congrats...

kevensquint
02/07/2005, 09:52 PM
Really my only concern is that my water is missing some things that the algae need to grow,and that my corals etc.. may also need.

lacie143
02/07/2005, 10:25 PM
the onlyalgae i get in my tank is the brown glass film and coraline

Dr. Beer
02/07/2005, 10:53 PM
The only thing that the algae would use are organics and that is something you don't need.

JotaDe
02/07/2005, 10:54 PM
I wish my tank was missing that "something" that algae needs to grow ;)

Seriously though, can you tell me the process you used to beat hair algae?

kevensquint
02/08/2005, 11:39 AM
To JoTaDe ,I did everything that I could think of that the algae would'nt like.First I got 4 really big turbo snails and a black urchin,I switched from tap water to RO/DI,for water changes and top up.I chucked the phosguard(did nothing) and put in Rowa phosphate remover,also I have one the cheapest yet I find most effective skimmers.Important to note,I never saw any difference with the lights on or off,I think that hair algae mainly grows from the nutrients in the water and not so much the light.

Cosmo^Kramer
02/08/2005, 11:43 AM
kevensquint what about macro alge,can you grow that?

JB NY
02/08/2005, 11:53 AM
4 days on cleaning the glass is OK, IMO you be striving for 5-7 days. Closer to 7 days without needing to clean the glass at all is even better. In my tank about the 5th day is when I notice a slight haze. I generally only clean the glass once a week, but a few times I've forgotten and let it go 9 days and it still looked good.

Cosmo^Kramer
02/08/2005, 12:01 PM
Joe,i've been trying to get to the point where i only clean the glass only once a week.I read where you posted it awhile back in one of these threads.Finally,i've gotten to that point.It's only been in the past 3 months or so,but i'm there.I also wanted to thank you for your advice in the threads and your website.I wouldn't be where i am today without your advice and the advice of a few(very few) others,,Thank You...Nick

kevensquint
02/08/2005, 06:49 PM
Well I guess I'll stop worrying,and to Kramer yes,I have 2 LR's that came with a plant that looks like mini kelp,its brownish/yellow with pointed leaves,anyways its growing.

kevensquint
02/08/2005, 06:50 PM
Well I guess I'll stop worrying,and to Kramer yes,I have 2 LR's that came with a plant that looks like mini kelp,its brownish/yellow with pointed leaves,anyways its growing.

kevensquint
02/08/2005, 07:04 PM

JB NY
02/08/2005, 07:23 PM
thanks for the good words Nick. I'm glad that my advice was helpful and you were able to clean up your reef.