PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Island Mystery Wrasse pics

shawnz28
02/07/2005, 12:51 AM
Well a few months ago I sprung and got the fish I had always wanted which was a Marshall Island Mystery Wrasse. Got him home and was quite happy in his new home...or so it would have seem as we will later find out. He ate well within 5 minutes in the tank and all was great then after a few weeks he suddenly vanished. I looked everywhere I could think of and did not see him nor a body and thought maybe he died and the cleanup crew got him. Well I had to do some work on my tank and there is one part that is pretty unaccessable as for visablity which is the left overflow. Turns out for what would have to be close to the last two months that is where he was living... and looking pretty fat! I took out the durso and flushed him to the sump and he is now back where he belongs. I decided to get some pics before he does it again LOL and got a couple of nice ones.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2787mystery1.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2787mystery2.jpg

dendronepthya
02/07/2005, 07:13 AM
Nice fish Shawn, it's one of my favorites. I wish I could have one myself, but currently, all my tanks are to bright. I learned my lesson with a peppermint hog that unless I want to look at a fish hide in a cave, I had better produce a better environment for them.

Eventually, I'd like to set up a deep water tank with a mystery wrasse, trio of sunburst anthias, and a Helfrich's firefish.

shawnz28
02/07/2005, 09:00 AM
He actually is out most of the day and the light does not seem to bother him. Not sure if that prompted the jump but I have a ton of rock that he swims in and out of all day long

doh1771
02/07/2005, 09:43 AM
Mine does not appear to be bothered by the light much either. I have the Giesemann 260 Moonlight with 2x250W 10K bulbs which are blindingly bright and the wrasse is out all the time.

Kreeger1
02/07/2005, 10:32 AM
Great pics shawn, now hurry up with that camera and help me out :)
Erik

dendronepthya
02/07/2005, 11:55 AM
Perhaps it is a combination of being new to the tank and the brightness. The hog has only been in the tank for a few days. The only time I saw the him come out and swim around was when the sun was going down. Oh, I forgot to mention, the tank is lit by natural sunlight in my greenhouse, so it gets considerably brighter than a metal halide on clear days. We did put up some shade cloths up this past weekend, so that should help with both the fish and some corals that were getting overexposed.

I wonder if the mystery wrasse would get along with a rhomboid fairy wrasse.
http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/images/DSCN0184.JPG
I think they would look great together, but I fear it would be a face off.

shawnz28
02/07/2005, 12:25 PM
Mine gets along great with my rubrimarginatus fairy which is somewhat similar to the one you mentioned.

dendronepthya
02/07/2005, 12:33 PM
Sweet. Now the only problem remaining is affording all those fish. :)